Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

EGR valve

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 10:18 AM
Default EGR valve

I came here to find out about egr valve deleate. Anyway ,I joined,and just wanted to say that I am a new to the Corvette world. I am addicted to Harley Davidsons ,have 6 now, because I recently traded number 7 for a 1982 Corvette. Although it ran pretty good, I was interested in doing a egr deleate, well I've done that took off the egr valve, and made a plate to bolt over the spot that the egr valve use to be, and since it was operated by vacuum I capped off the vacume line. So when ,or if the car was to know this ,it is only going to know that there is still a vacuum where it is supose to be. I put in two new injectors, new plugs and wires,and two new air cartridges, went through and found a the bad vacuum hoses, and replaced all the burnt out fuses, 6 of them.put new dash light bulbs in,changed the transmission to frame mount because the rubber was smashed down to only had metal to metal,no give even though it wasn't ripped loose, adjusted the fuel pressure to 13,and left a all the time pressure gauge hooked up. Changed the oil and filter ,used Mobil 1 synthetic high mileage. I still, am going to flush all the transmission fluid and replace, I know how to do thus, just haven't yet. I have to tell you that I'm absolutely amazed how well this thing runs for only hav 200 horse power. Just thought I would put this out,in appriation to being able to join this forum. New to all thus but,I'll get it figured out. Thanks for letting me be part of thus great source of information. I wouldn't hesitate driving this Vette anywhere now. Traded the Harley for it to a friend that bought it from a kirapracter doctor in town here in Mondovi, Wisconsin.

Old 09-22-2022, 12:04 AM

Welcome from Washington! You're not alone in having a Harley addiction. I currently have 4. And two '73 Corvettes.

Old 09-22-2022, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Since it is a computer-controlled, catalytic converter car then I'm not sure what effect that would have on the computerized fuel mixture. Might want to look into that.

Old 10-24-2022, 10:38 AM

Welcome to the forums Jack. Never been a fan of EGR's, they were installed for the reason of leaning out the conbustion of the engine, (starting back in the late 60's) It works but it's using hot exhaust gasses, which does not make more power (less i'm sure) but it made the EPA happy because the car makers were doing something at that time. Then everything else started happening after that, air pumps lower compression unleaded fuel for cars (not airplanes) and catalytic converters then roller camshafts because zinc was banned from engine oil for plugging up cats and lead messed up 02 sensors. The EGR should not have a vacuum to it at idle. The engine will run rough, some were be hooked to the same line as the distributor, vacuum above idle through a thermatic valve at the thermostat. There were block off plates you could buy.