Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Emergency "Hood release" access holes...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 08:56 PM
Default Emergency "Hood release" access holes...

I thought that I'd share this with you guys just incase someone thinks that they can REALLY use this method, atleast for an '81, in the event of a cable failure.
After finding the access holes and removing the plastic plugs, I got out my set of long screw drivers and went to work. Firstly, it was hard getting my hand down and inbetween the windshield and underside of the hood edge, but I managed to squeeze it in there. I went in the hole on the driver side at various lengths with different length (7"-13") and diameter flat tip screw drivers and felt for something that I could pry to the outside that felt spring-loaded, thinking of exactly what the latch looked like. I went back in the house three times and looked again at the pictures on the website and read the captions over again during theapprox. 35 minutesI felt around for the part of the latch to pry to the outside. After feeling around forthe approx.35 minutes, I rechecked the cost of the new cable package, cut the casing cleanly and pulled the cable with a pair of klines. Afterward, with the hood open, I slidthe appropriate lengthscrew driver in the access port and checked out the angle neededand exactly what I needed to do, blindly.Not only do I think I'd have not found that latch to pry outward, but it doesn't look like I'd have ever been able to get the correct angle on the screw driver to catch the latch, even with a smaller hand. And the prying would have to be out and down, on about a 45 degree angle, and quite hard prying as the fulcrum is way back at the access hole. I'm not too bad at feeling for things like that, but I don't think I'd have ever gotten that one. But, If the access ports are there to access the hood latch, I suppose it is possible.
In any case, I still sincerely appreciate the help info.A good thing to do, just incase you ever need to use those emergency access ports, is to see exactly what screw driver will work along with how far you need to insert it into thehole and at what angle and mark it accordingly. This way, you can get right in there if need be.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:15 PM
Location: Millbrook,Alabama....Slap dab in the middle of God's Country
Default RE: Emergency "Hood release" access holes...

Great idea. A "dry run" for emergencies is allways a good idea.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

"....the pictures on the website...."

I missed that.
What web site?
All info has a degree of accuracy, therefore, I would like to investigate the info personally. I have caught talk, from time to time, regarding this issue, but have not seen a definitive solution.
So, help us all out and give us the visual skinny.
I learn best from hands and eyes on the situation, so......

[sm=ttiwwp.gif],to me. [&o]
Can ya help me out here?

Old 01-28-2008, 09:50 PM

here is a site that deal with this issue (it has been on this site before) i personally have not tried it but here is the site
http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette-1-0-3852.html

Old 01-28-2008, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

O.K., I see now. I'll just hav'ta look at mine, now that I see what's goin' on in there.
Thanks for the link. [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 01-28-2008, 10:29 PM
pg

Hi Texas Jim, your original way worked best and that's a good tip. On a 74 there is no way that the screw driver will work, After I got the hood open I ran some picture wire thru the grommet hole and looped it around the release half moon and left enough tucked in the wiper well to access if that ever happens again. PG

[IMG]local://upfiles/2883/91E0F0C312664B6FB346D465BD2E9A50.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-28-2008, 10:49 PM

pg,
Just because my '81 was tough, it may be that other years are easier. I'm usually good at things like that, feeling and fishing for mechanical things blindly, but the hood release was a tough one. I would have thought that a factory remedy would have been alittle more fool-proof than that though.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:49 PM

great idea witht he picture wire PG i might have to do that for a "just in case thing" on mine too since you said the screwdriver wont fit in.