Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Headlight Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 03:22 AM
Default Headlight Problem

I know it's hard to believe that anyone would ever have a problem with their headlights working, but i guess i'm one of those 1 in 10 million that does. My right headlight comes up halfway pretty quick and then drops back down a couple of inches. It sometimes will slowly come on up after a couple of minutes and sometimes i have to help it. There are several things to replace in that department and some of it is quite expensive. So before i just started blindly replacing i thought i'd see what the suggestions were. My left headlight pops right up no problem, but it bounces when im going down the road. It's got quite a bit of play in it and i'm not sure if something is broken in the mount or what. Again i wanted to get some suggestions before i started taking things apart. It does drop about an 1/8 to a 1/4" below flush when i put it down. You can hear the right headlight lock when it finally does come up and it doesn't move once it locks. I'm hoping i just have to tighten something in the housing and i'll be good. Thanks for your help!

Paul

Old 04-04-2008, 07:42 AM
Default RE: Headlight Problem

Go to: http://www.corvette-101.comand then to "vacuum trouble" and you'll see that your problem is the "sealing gromet." It tells you how to check the system w/ a "vacuum pump" and explains how to fix these problems w/o just buying all new components. If you have no problem w/ the buckets closing, then the problem is the gromet-like I said. I had the same problem. Good Luck.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

If I remember correctly (big if sometimes), the vacuum actuator trips the spring-loaded mechanical linkage and once it goes overcenter, the spring pulls it on into the open or closed position. If that's correct, then you might check the springs and linkages to ensure nothing is broken, missing, needs lube, or otherwise not functioning correctly.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:31 AM

Paul,
What did you find out about your lights? One thing that's not mentioned in that article on the "Corvette-101" site is the fact that from the gromet not sealing, which keeps the headlight from opening, you'll have a vacuum leak which will get progressivly worse along w/ the light function/non-function. Let us know what you find out.