Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Just like to know what made you decide to purchase a C3.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 10:02 AM
Default Just like to know what made you decide to purchase a C3.

Just like to know what made you decide to purchase a C3.
I always liked the C2 style but I could never afford one.
Now that I own a C3 I like it better then a C2
Schoon

[IMG]local://upfiles/3231/65DB91619E4A4BB982C013A6E3201A5F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-27-2006, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Just like to know what made you decide to purchase a C3.

First of all, I've wanted a Vette since I was 6 yrs old. Took my first ride in a '58. In '62 I fell in love with what I call the transitional modle, has a '61 front and a '63 tail. When I got to where I could finally buy a Vette, I looked around and the price of a '62 was way out of my price range.
When I was in high school, the Mako Shark came out. They sent chills up my spine just lookin' at 'em. Then, in '04 I had a few extra bucks and bought the "Starship". She was badly abused and other people would have passed her up, she needed everything, but I saw a great opportunity to build "my own" dream car. I love the body style and don't give a damn what other people say about her, she's a C3, and she's MINE!

Old 10-27-2006, 06:04 PM
pg

It was love at first sight!
It was Nov. of 2000, as I drove down the road with happy thoughts of Thanksgiving in a few weeks, family reunions, time off from work and Christmas around the corner. Thats when I saw her, parked on the side of the road! WoW a white Corvette! A WoW "What a body" I was in love!
We have lived happily ever after! And I love her more today the ever.PG

Old 10-27-2006, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

I like all the body styles for what they are but the C3 is the sexiest. What curves...and the tail....... Hmmmmm..........Tail...........love curvy rearends.

Old 10-27-2006, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

interesting note about the C3 body. It was the brain child of John Delorean when he was cheif designer at Pontiac Div. He Designed and built the very first one in 1964 for pontiac and called it "Banshee" It had a straight six with a single side carb. The powers that be pulled the plug and said it would be to much compatition for the Chevy Corvette and shelved the project. In 1968 it was revised slightly and released as the '68 stingray. only two were built. Check it out.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/aucti....asp?id=181761

[IMG]local://upfiles/2713/27660D6483F94F2BB15791AEE14C1A24.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-28-2006, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

[sm=smiley32.gif][sm=smiley32.gif] Great post Shark!!!
I had heard something like that before, so thanks for filling in the gaps.

Old 10-28-2006, 12:55 AM
pg

Hi blueshark, I thought that Bill Mitchell dictated more of what would go into the styling than John Delorean. It's my understanding the Mitchell had his hand in the 1961 design of Mako Shark I, which became the platform for the C-2 style, than he introduced the Maco Shark II in Jan 1966, which kept the same driveline but introduced us to the C-3 body.
Covettes of that time were built for speed! When "Zora" joined GM he had raced cars in Germany and he wanted the Chevy Corvette, as the flagship of the Chevy division to show the world that Corvette was at the top of its game with the best of the contenders, and he did it.
Delorean put high HP engines into the LeMans, called it a GTO and had sussess in his owe right.
Some ware along the line Carrol Shelby got into the game, he took a couple of Corvettes to Italy, had them redone and GM went nuts! Then Shelby hit on the Cobra idea. Yeah Carrol, very fast car but it doesn't have windows or a top! So as we debate wether the C-2 or C-3 have the best looks, lets just thank all the people that had a hand in this. I can't say that either car is better or worst, I'm just glad that I have one of them to enjoy. "Corvette the only American Sports Car"PG

Old 10-28-2006, 02:23 AM
Super Moderator

I'm no expert but there are a few pictures of the Banshee and a brief description from Barret jackson at that URL. this car was rolling in 64 so I would imagine it was started a few years prior to that. John Delorean was only doing his thing for Pontiac Div, but GM big wigs took his idea and gave it to Chevy Div. So in actuality Delorean didn't have anything to do with the Vette. They just used his body design for the 68 and continued through 82 with the 73 being the last of the original C3 body all others were modified/improved/changed from there. Another interesting note is that Harly Earl actualy designed a two seater olds in 51 and built 4 of them for model year 53 but again GM big wigs took his design and incorpoated it into the corvette. and wouldn't let him build it as an olds. I believe you are right. Mitchell was the Goto man for the final word.

I like all of them. I just thought that was interesting to see. cheers

Old 10-29-2006, 05:24 PM

I'm new to the world of vette since I've only had mine for a year. My son in law has a 69 convertable and after driving his last year I knew I had the bug. I always wanted a classic car and recently bought a house with a three car garage, the time was right! I wanted a classic porsche and my son in law gave me a buyer's guide to the 911; after reading the book and every problem you can have with a porsche I knew the car for me was a vette. After looking online for a few months I finally found her on ebay; a silver 73 stingray convertable with a red interior. I paid too much, have spent too much on bringing her back from the condition I found her in and spend too much time planning what I'm going to do next. In other words I've never been happier with a car. She's a driver and probably always will be but she's a joy to drive, I love the sound from the 69 side pipes and after a tough day at work a ride in that baby puts the world in perspective.

Old 10-29-2006, 06:10 PM

So far it sounds like everyone of you will keep your C3 to the end, including me.

Quick Reply: Just like to know what made you decide to purchase a C3.