Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Looking at a 1979 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 03:29 AM
Default Looking at a 1979 Vette

I am currently looking to invest in a 1979 Vette...I have looked at it a couple of times...inside and out and under the hood...Haven't researched the #s yet but what i do know about it is...It is Beige and Brown 2-tone...can't seem to find any info on the 2-tone paint scemes...from whatI have found...there were like 1700+ Beige Vettes built it 79...Everything under the hood seems to be in place except the distributor shield...how hard is this to find/replace??? The interior is in pretty good shape...the carpets are dirty and the seats need recovered...The seeats are tan with a plaid like insert...All of the plastic and door panels and dash are in pretty good shape except where someone cut the center panel to install a CD radio...i haven't researched the motor, trans, or rear end yet going to try to do that this next week...Anyway...where might i check for info on th 79 2-tone production #s...and what else might I check into to find out if this car is worth investing in or not???

Old 08-26-2007, 06:10 AM
Default RE: Looking at a 1979 Vette

Good morning jdriggan, welcome to the best corvette forum going. I checked on the color scheme of the '79 but was not able to find the two-tone numbers, you might try one of the facts books. If your looking at this car as an investment and plan on replacing anything then you'll have to purchase it at a very low price, the cost of refurbishing a C3 is high. I've got a'78 and bought it for $2000, I have a little over $6000 in parts and have done all of the work myself, at this point it's a very drivable car but still needs more to bring it back to the new car look, if I sold it today I would be lucky to break even on the dollar amount but could not ever come close to the labor value. Also, the '78-'82 had no ignition shields like the pre H.E.I. cars had. Good luck with your investigation.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

There are lots of parts available for C3s. Everything you have mentioned is available. For engine numbers, try....
www.mortec.com or maybe it's www.mortech.com .
Buckshot is right, it takes a lot of scratch to restore a C3. The better the condition of the car when ya start, the better. But it won't be cheep.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:37 AM

THANKS FO THE INFO...DIDN'T KNOW THAT THE 79 DID NOT HAVE THE IGNITION SHIELD...I THOUGHT THAT THEY ALL HAD SOME FORM OF A SHIELD THERE...SOME OTHER INFO ABOUT THIS PARTICULAR CAR...A FRIEND OF MINE JUST BOUGHT A 76 STINGRAY...I NOTICED THE FACTORY ENGINE PAINT ON HIS WAS ORANGE...A FEW PIX I'VE SEEN OF 79s THE ENGINE IS BLUE...THIS ONE HAS A BLUE ENGINE...DOESN'T APPEAR TO HAVE BEEN RE PAINTED..,AS THE PAINT IS CHIPPED/PEELING IN QUITE A FEW PLACES...JUST CURIOUS...WHAT COLOR SHOULD THE 79 ENGINE BE??? ALSO FOR A 79 THE PAINT IS IN EXCELLENT SHAPE...IT HAS A FEW SCRATCHES...BUT NO CHIPS/PEEELING ON THE BUMPER COVERS...OR ANY WHERE ELSE THAT I CAN SEE...ALSO...DID THE 79 HAVE THE ENGINE BADGES ON THE CONSOLE??? IF SO THIS ONE IS MISSING...AND AS I SAID BEFORE I HAVE NOT TAKEN THE TIME TO RUN THE #s YET...OH AND THE CAR WAS PRICED TO ME IN THE LOW $6Ks...IS THAT GOOD OR BAD???ANY INPUT OR ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED...THANX

Old 08-26-2007, 12:01 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: jdriggan

THANKS FO THE INFO...DIDN'T KNOW THAT THE 79 DID NOT HAVE THE IGNITION SHIELD...I THOUGHT THAT THEY ALL HAD SOME FORM OF A SHIELD THERE...SOME OTHER INFO ABOUT THIS PARTICULAR CAR...A FRIEND OF MINE JUST BOUGHT A 76 STINGRAY...I NOTICED THE FACTORY ENGINE PAINT ON HIS WAS ORANGE...A FEW PIX I'VE SEEN OF 79s THE ENGINE IS BLUE...THIS ONE HAS A BLUE ENGINE...DOESN'T APPEAR TO HAVE BEEN RE PAINTED..,AS THE PAINT IS CHIPPED/PEELING IN QUITE A FEW PLACES...JUST CURIOUS...WHAT COLOR SHOULD THE 79 ENGINE BE??? ALSO FOR A 79 THE PAINT IS IN EXCELLENT SHAPE...IT HAS A FEW SCRATCHES...BUT NO CHIPS/PEEELING ON THE BUMPER COVERS...OR ANY WHERE ELSE THAT I CAN SEE...ALSO...DID THE 79 HAVE THE ENGINE BADGES ON THE CONSOLE??? IF SO THIS ONE IS MISSING...AND AS I SAID BEFORE I HAVE NOT TAKEN THE TIME TO RUN THE #s YET...OH AND THE CAR WAS PRICED TO ME IN THE LOW $6Ks...IS THAT GOOD OR BAD???ANY INPUT OR ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED...THANX
How many miles?

Put a comp guage on all 8 holes to measure the squeeze. They gotta' be close for 6k.
Feel the tightness of the d'train [u-joints] by sitting in neutral, level ground, and engage drive. Go back to neutral, and do reverse too.
Watch the exhaust as the owner pulls the trigger on a COLD motor (make sure it's COLD). How quick to start? Blue exhaust= oil; valve seals or rings. White = coolant. See ya!!! Black = gas. Should go away on a warm motor.
Follow him on the highway. At 50mph, signal him to hammer down. Watch how much exhaust you get. A little is okay.

Buy with your mind, not your heart.

An investment is something that makes you $$$.Normally, onlyrace vehicles will do that, like '78 said. The local auto trader is full of autos for sale with "11k invested, for sale for 8k" (or the like).

Not a good investment. He's not gonna' manage MY IRA.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:51 PM

Yup!, blue is the factory engine color, nope-no console engine badge that year. GM couldn't bear the thought of advertising 185 hp from a 350.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:58 PM

THANKS BUCKSHOT FOR THE INFO...THE ENGINE IS DEFFINATELY BLUE AND DOESN'T APPEAR TO HAVE EVER BEEN REPAINTED...BUT DOES STILL LOOK PRETTY GOOD FOR BEING A 79...AGAIN THANKS FOR THE INFO...EVERY LITTLE BIT HELPS...

Old 08-27-2007, 12:13 AM

JUST GOT DONE DECODING THE VIN...FOUND OUT THE CAR IS AN L48...TOOK ANOTHTHER LOOK AT THE CAR THIS EVENING...IT APPEARS TO HAVE TH 5 LEAF REAR SPRING...IT IS AN AUTOMATIC...BUT I DIDN'T THINK TO LOOK AT THE PAN TO SEE IF IT WAS A 350 OR A 400...AND IT HAS 114,xxx MILES...GIVEN THIS AND THE PREVIOUS INFO...CAN ANYBODY SUGGEST A GOOD OFFERING PRICE FOR THE CAR???

Old 08-27-2007, 01:21 PM

Hey Man, If I were you, I would offer $5500 and work form there. Also if it has the L-48 it has the 350 trans. The 400 trans was only offered on the L-82 for that year. Hope this helps.....Later

Old 08-27-2007, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Uh,.....offer 5, if he doesn't choke or laugh ya may have a deal.