Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Lurker's Lament

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 08:07 AM
Default Lurker's Lament

Happy Labor Day All,
If you guys recall from an earlier post, my brother in laws brother past away recently and left a 1974, yes 74 and not 73 as was thought before in the garage. Just got back from a 500 mile (1 way) road trip to check it out.
Unfortunately, we could not find the keys or title. The guy saved everything and found the car records, but no title or keys.
The house resembled a war zone and finding the keys or title is not good at this point. Bugs, rats, mice, boxes, dust, asbestos, big problems. Unbelievablebut that's another story. Very shaming for anybody to see as far as bil is concerned, I'm sure.
Anyways, the Vette-Its a 1974, Burgundy, and has only 20,000 miles on it. He's the original owner, it has t-tops, a 350, 170 HP, 4 speed manual. No AC, no Pwr Windows.
From the repair records that I found, its quite possible this car has not moved since1977. Tires were flat, wheels and any other chrome was rusty. Stuff was piled on it, including a ladder, tools, camping gear.I'm guessing it was parked due to an ancohol problem, maybe. Or he was accident prone and insurance dropped him.
The body had an unfinished fiberglass repair on the passenger front fender. The chrome wheels and anything else was rusted.
The engine was completely rusted but there was oil on the dip stick and inside the oil cap looked ok.
The problem at this point is No Keys and no title. The estate lawyer can get a duplicate title.Keys- welp I doubt if Chevy can provide a key. Maybe a locksmith can help. BIL knows a couple people who may be able to help with meeting a local locksmith.
I could tryuploading pics, but why?I think you guys get the picture.
I can have the car for $1500 but at this point it may be a long shot.
Oh yeah, the interior was covered in cigarette a nicotine which I guess can be cleaned up.
Not sure how this will play out, but this vette may have already died a slow death.
Thanks for any opinions.
Oh yeah, happy Labor Day. Enjoy.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Lurker's Lament

Glad to hear back from ya on the Vette.
$1500 sounds like a fair price, concidering there will be a lot to do to 'er. Everything you mentioned is really no big deal. I would suggest that ya pull the engine and tranny. Rebuild the engine, change fluid in the tranny and put in new seals. New seals in the rear end too. The rest is basically cosmetic, once the drive train is done. You may need to change the body and suspention bushings, so put 'er on a rack or stands, and look 'er over real good. Paint and interior cane be done later.
Good luck with getting the title and key issues resolved.
I think the car has great potential.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:42 PM

Welp, C3 Starship, it seems the key and locksmith is no problem as I found out this morning through the internet. Butin sharing what I found out with the brother in law, well I guess he and his wifefeel I'm moving too fast, steeping on toes, its not my car, etc.Pressures, anger, family, and words canmessup many things.I guess death and vettes are not immune to this. And I'm sharing this here first, knowing that as the next few days and weeks are played out that my feelings are probably correct to just walk away.
I'm holding off from letting the BIL know my thoughts, but maybe they feel it ain't worth their aggravation either.
Thanks to this forum, maybe other opportunities will come along, who knows.But this one wasa long shot, to good to be true. I think my wife and everyone else can breathe a sigh of relief.And if the opportunity resurrects itself, I can just come back to this post and move on.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, there are a lot of emotions that arise when dealing with what others have left behind. Been throughit a few times myself.
There are a lot of opportunities to get a good Vette. Ya may be right, to just walk away.The situation may improve in time. Good luck in you ventures.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:28 AM
cwb

Before I took it home, I would do some serious footwork at the DMV's, to verify mileage. If20k milescan't be confirmed, I would probably not go there. BIG difference in 20k, and 120k...

Old 09-04-2007, 10:59 AM

20k is it. Found maint. records that went to 1977-78 that confirms mileage. Looks like soon after that,he may have had the fender bender. Insurance either raised rates, or they cancelled him. Either way, its unfortunate that moisture and condensation has taken its toll.
That means the car has sat for almost 30 years.I have walked away. But to the car enthusiasts, it may be a great project and their may be a couple guys here at work interested. But that's up to the BIL, who may at this time be thinking its going to the bone yard. I'm trying to stay clear right now.