Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Lurker Comes Out

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 08:10 PM
Default Lurker Comes Out

Hi, New member here. Been lurking for a couple weeks reading through the posts and feel compelled to ask for your opinions, if you don't mind. Here goes:

My brother-in-laws brother unfortunately passed away. Was a Navy fighter pilot his entire career. Anyways, he was a single guy and none of the surviving brotherswants or needsa corvette. I'm not sure I want one either, so here's the story:

He left a "73 vette. Not sure about anything else, except it may be red or orange with a removeable hard top.

Now, the car may not have been driven in a while, perhaps not for many, many, many years. Maybe due to insurance costs, but not sure. This guys home and garage was filled with stuff. Piles and piles of stuff. He never threw anything away. The brothers were out there over the weekend, and just started going through all his stuff.
Unfortunately, theycouldn't see the car. It was buried in stuff in the garage where it has sat.

I'm thinkingmaybe $1000-1500. Could be mine. Got access to a trailer.Any inputs would be appriciated.

PS- I rode motorcycles for 25 years and walked away several years ago.This vette seems like it could be fun or amajor disappointment.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Maybe by my next post, we will know the rest of this story.

Thx,
Dan

Old 08-15-2007, 09:02 PM
pg
Default RE: Lurker Comes Out

Hi dar322 and welcome to the forum.
My condolences about your brother-in-law.
A 73 convertible, just the removable top is worth about what your offering for the whole car!
Look the car over real good, all Vettes need new calipers and seals and a few bushings, but if the interior and trim are all there you have a good base for a great car. Take a close look all around the car and post some pic's.
Sounds like you found a keeper, PG

Old 08-15-2007, 09:19 PM

Thanks for the quick reply pg,
I had hoped the b-i-law could have gotten pics, cause its 500 miles away. He said the small opening of the view was so dusty, it was hard to tell the color, let alone anything else. BIL may figure outits worth a lot more. I hope not. May take several $$$$ to get it up to running condition. I don't know. Brakes, fuel. Gaskets? Tires. Body? I can't go there until the next month. Not knowing what it is makes it tough waiting.
Thanks.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:24 PM
ax

Welcome Dan, glad you decided to come out of the shadows! To give you some quick answers......
If it's a "removable" hard-top, and not T-tops, then it's a convertable. Youhad the optionof buying the hard top. Pull the hard top off, lift up on the back deck, and you should see a rag-top under there.ANY corvette that is anything but totaly stripped and set on fireis worth $1500.(Actually have seen stripped ones that were in a fire go for more). 73 was the last year for the "bumper cars"(chrome bumpers front and rear) and while they don't bring quite as much money as a 68-69 they are still more collectable than 74 on. Sorry to all you plastic bumper guys, but it's true:-) One of the first things to really look at after the basic body panels, and a look at the frame for bad rust, is the motor. An original motor is a big plus, and a originalbig block is the grand prize.
There a a hundred things after the basics that can add value, or cost alot to fix if their bad.
If you can get it dug out, and get some more info or better yet pictures, that would be a great help in answering most of your questions.
Whereis the carlocated? If you decide that none of you want it I may have aninterest if it's not too far away.I would be willing tooffera fair price of course.
Anyway.....get some info and pictures, and I'm sure everony here will be happy to help you out.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry about your brother in law, my hat is off to him for his service to our country. [sm=americanasmiley.gif]
The more info you can give us, the more help we can provide. Pics would def help. It sure sounds to me like you found a diamond in the rough.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:41 PM
pg

When you ride a bike there is a sence of friendship, the low "5", well when you own a Vette there is also a " Brother Hood " We give a " Wave " There is something special about owning a Vette and meeting other owners. It's a wonderfull experience, get it if you can and get some photo's to show the grandkids. PG

Old 08-16-2007, 10:40 AM

ax, i belive 72 was last year for chrome bumpers. 73 had rear chrome bumber, front bumber was urethane.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:46 PM
ax

Ahh....correct you are copley....was just trying to see if anyone was paying attention( cough...cough).[8D]

Old 08-16-2007, 06:52 PM

Welp, I acted upon you guys advice and it looks like the b-i-l and me will be doing a road trip Labor Day weekend. I'll help him clean up and try and get some pics. We'll see if we can find the title and keys.And then go from there. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying this forum. Maybe someday I'll post in the new owner section. Right now this is only a dream.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:17 PM
pg

Hi again, when you get out there, get the Vin# from the side of the front window, then look for the engine # it's on theright head, on a flat spot just above the top water pump bolt, You can get lots of info with those #'s, and the paint and interior #'s are near the door hinges, PG