Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

No Idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 05:11 PM
Default No Idle

When car is warmed up it idles around 7. When I take off and come to a stop the idle goes to 0 and I stall out.
The carb is a Holley DP and is 1 year old.
When I have the filter off and the car is idling one of the rear jets is dripping gas down into the carb. When I rev it the front jets spray good and the backs do ok.
It is a 350 engine with a Muncie 4 speed.

This problem started the other day when I adjusted the idle screw down a bit.

Old 10-21-2006, 05:48 PM
Default RE: No Idle

Could be a stuck float. My boat does that when it runs through some old gas. The float in the bowl can get sticky with gunk, and stick in the up position, causing the carb to flood out. Also check that when you adjusted the idle, you adjusted the warm idle/cold idle settings properly. When the car first starts, you are on cold idle. Once it warms up, and you hit the gas, it should drop down to the warm idle setting. There should be 2 different screws to adjust there.

bill.

Old 10-21-2006, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

Turn the idle screw back UP a bit. You may have opened the primary butterflies too far. (too lean)

One screw adjusts the Idle fuel flow, lean or rich (low, in the front of carb, two on a four barrel) and the other adjusts the primary butterflys (on the throttle connection).

If the float is stuck "UP", the fuel will be cut off, if stuck "down", the needle valve will not shut off the fuel and fuel will flood into the carb.

There is a balance between the two screw adjustments. One is fuel and the other is air.

There could be a bit of debris in the needle valve seat, causing some fuel to flow into the secondaries. (the bowl is over filling)

This is how I see it.

Old 10-22-2006, 12:50 PM

Hey guys,
Thanks for the info. Turns out there was a couple of thing going wrong.
I opened the float site screw and the gas just poured out.
Set it back a bit and it helped some.
Adjusted the mixture and cranked up the idle. Helped some more.
Tightened all the nuts etc on the carb. Everything was loose.
Wrapped the the back float housing with a wrench a few times. This also hepled loosen things up with the float.
Looks like the problem is solved.
Next thing to fix is apower steering leak. Looks like it's comming from the cylinder.
One thing after the other!

Old 10-22-2006, 04:18 PM
pg

Hi Schoon, glad to hear the you solved that problem. When I first got my car every time I went for a ride I found something else that needed attention, and I mean every time for the first 6 months. Little by little you will wip it into shape. Our cars are 32 years old so everything needs some attention, after 6 years you name it and I've changed it, sometimes more than once. Hang in there, PG.