Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

A Question of Value

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 11:07 AM
Default A Question of Value

My dad and I are looking at buying a corvette from one of his friends. Wanted to get your guys opinion on the value. I currently have no pictures but will do my best to get some in the next weekend or two. I have seen the Vette enough to give you a detailed description though. It's a 1969 Corvette Coupe Black exterior and side pipe exhaust. It started life as an automatic but was converted to a 4-speed for the drag strip in the late 80's. The car has a complete tubed rollcage in the interior and two black bucket seats but still had the original dash and instruments. The car now has the original rims and right sized tires back on it. The flip-up head lights have been permenantly locked down and a replacement set was mounted under the front bumper. Now for the engine: It has a 454 bored out to a 468 (not exactly sure what bored out means but i'm sure you guys do) with a blower. So obviuosly a hood has been cut around the blower but was painted to match and original untouched hood comes with car. The car was priced to us in 2 seperate ways as is, like i described and as a rolling chassis. The exterior on the car is perfect not a scratch or a dent or anything. If you guys could give me any idea of what its worth i would appreciate it. I hate to disclose what the asking price is since it might affect your judgement, but after i get a few responses i will put both asking prices on here.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:32 PM
Default RE: A Question of Value

I would pass on it unless you are looking for something you can race at the drags.
It doesn't sound like it would be a street friendly Vet.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:49 PM
Default RE: A Question of Value

It all depends on what you want, and what you want to use it for. If you were to "restore" it back to original, you would likely be in for alot of work and some significant coin. If the car is close to what you want, then the value of the car would be closer to "build cost". Look at what you would spend to build what you want from stock, add in the modifications you would want to do, and then compare that price against some of the vettes on the market that are close to what you want, and the prices that your friend is asking.

Take mine for example. I wanted a running driver to play with and modify a bit over time:

Car: 4000
Frame work, new front end suspension, etc.: 1200
New carb, fuel lines, etc.: 400
shocks, bushings, etc.: 300
Astrotop: 400
Stinger hood: 500
HotRodAir AC/heat conversion: 1300
Assorted pieces and parts 1000+

So now I'm up to about $9100, and it is a fun little driver. Throw in a couple grand for the paint job this fall, and you can see the dollars starting to get into the serious coin range. These are just minor mods and upgrades for the most part. You can spend a ton on new motors, heads, fuel injection conversions, body kits, whatever you want to do to make the car uniquely "yours".

bill.