Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Stock manifolds VS headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 12:54 AM
Default Stock manifolds VS headers

I have been debating headers, because the stock manifolds look like little mini-headers anyway, and I'm sure they flow 1,000,000% better than log manifolds, but my cam (which I installed today along with my heads, pics to come shortly) is designed to run 2000-6000 rpm and I'm wondering what kinda hurt the stock manifolds will do to my power? They are not tuned, given, but I'm sure scavaging at high RPMs is hurt, anyone had experience with getting good power from the stock manifolds?

Also, DV8, I noticed an under hood shot of your headers and that you have pretty good ground clearance, anybody got an idea of what those $90 Jegs headers do to ground clearance, I should would love a set of long tube headers.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Stock manifolds VS headers

The old "Ram's Horn" manifolds on the SB V-8's have a good rep for performance, but ya can't go wrong with an upgrade to good quality headers. Lots of choices out there, the key is to get ones that "fit". The clearance of the steering box, clutch linkage assemby, and a good route past the trans cross member seem to be the main issues for a good application.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:33 PM

might i suggest a set of ceramic coated headers, they remove heat from your engine compartment keeping the engine cooler which will increase hp as well as keeping them from rusting up! for a 100 or so more you cant beat the plus sides!!

Old 03-15-2008, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

....BTW, I don't have the double passage cross member. All the more reason I'm goin' to side pipes.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:17 AM

Yea, I dont either, but it seems that my cat was long gone before I got the car, there is just a "large pipe" in place of where it use to be, I don't know how much better splitting it into two would be. I ls1 Z28 had the duals-into-one-into-duals but the pipe coming out of the cat was like 3.5" I'll see how it does before I start cutting up the exhaust.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Ya might check out some options from Ecklers, Mid America Motor Works, Zip,.....Lots of supplliers out there.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Ceramic coated "nest-of-snakes" header/sidepipe combo.

Can tune for the sound you want and gets the heat out of the engine compartment and out from under the car.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:44 PM
pg

Here's some info on headers http://carcraft.com/index.html click on "Tech" go to page2 "Passing Gas-How headers work",
more info on page 3 under "Whats a merge collector" PG.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:53 PM
Banned

Name:  519743b3.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  50.0 KB

Brand of headers - unknown, ground clearance was never a problem, dual hi-flow cats just to keep things legal.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 03-16-2008, 11:16 PM

OK, using something I like to call math, I calculate a compression of 9:1 with all the stuff todether, I trimmed the smog tubes off the manifold and welded the resulting holes and will put them back on for now, see what it does at the track, and then get some good 'ol fashioned long tubes after my vacation in April (can you say: "Need the money...") to see what kind of differences it will make.

Quick Reply: Stock manifolds VS headers