Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Stock manifolds VS headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Stock manifolds VS headers

Are you referring to the short pipe extensions that are inside the exhaust manifolds?

Although it's too late now, for future reference, there is a brass plug available witha straight pipe thread that will fit the AIR holes in the manifold.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:07 PM

There where no threads, the AIR pipes were integral, and I really had no problem just leaving them, because the check valves prevent the exhaust leaves, but it just makes it SO much easier to do tune ups if they are out of the way.After Icut them up, I realize that I probably could have taped them andthreaded in a plug, but why spend all that money onfancy welder if I never get any practice! GOD BLESS INDIANA!

Old 03-18-2008, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

I guess you have different manifolds than mine then. Mine had a flare nut hold the external pipes on and then there was an internal extension pipe that fed the air right next to the head of the exhaust valve. I didn't know about the extension pipe and when I took the manifolds off, the ends of the extension pipe were melted back about 1/4".

Old 03-18-2008, 11:48 PM

man, sounds like you did some traileri'n or over heatin' for your exhaust to get that hot, I will see if I can put some pics of my manifolds, and my squeaky clean engine up in the next couple days

Old 03-19-2008, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

No I just had removed the belt on the AIR pump so there was no cooling air for a long time and then removed the external piping and put the plugs in, so still no air.

Looking forward to your pics.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:29 PM
pg

My car has cast iron exhaust manifolds with no holes and I never had an AIR pump, did it come from GM that way or do you think it was changed before I got the car? PG.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

I think you've got non-original manifolds. What's the size of the exhaust pipe right at the manifold?

Old 03-19-2008, 09:57 PM
pg

I think there 2" but I don't know for sure, the casting #'s are the same on both sides it's 3932481 or 3932461 does that help? Thanks PG.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:43 PM

There were two SMOG systems used, one was AIR, Air Injection Reaction which had a Smog pump, and then PAIR, which was Pulses Air Injection Reactor, which had no Smog pump, but I thought most of the PAIR systems came on straight sixes and such, not the V8's

Old 03-19-2008, 11:01 PM
pg

HI DayCreamer, I was just courious, I have no emissions devices on my car and never had any problem passing inspections, I was told that it mattered where the car was to be sold, seems like North Carolina doesn't care about pollution and I never had a problem at inspection time. Also was told that after a car is 35 years old we don't need any more inspections, so June will be my last inspection.
PS, hope all goes well on the mod's your installing. PG.

Quick Reply: Stock manifolds VS headers