Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Turn signal won't work

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Default Turn signal won't work

I just got my '76 back from the body shop. Lady went through a yield sign-I couldn't stop. New front fender and nose. Problem is, now my turn signal lever won't indicate on the dash or flash front or rear. (emergency flashers work fine) If the brake is pushed when I move the lever for a left or right turn, the brake light on that side goes dim. Also, my ac/heater fan doesnt switch on anymore either. I checked fuses, all OK. What else should I check short of taking apart the dash and trying to trace things to the power source?
Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give me.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:13 PM

Why would you tear the dash apart? I was you I'd start in the area where the damage was. Was it the right front? The heater/ac fan is on the firewall where the right fender hooks on,if the wreck didn't get it,the body man did. Check the nose area for wires that were cut and not returned correctly. Do the lights in the grille flash correctly in 4-way or just the dash? What goes on in the lights themselves when you do the signal/brake thing? You'll need a helper or a really big mirror. Just some thoughts?
Good Luck
Ron

Old 10-13-2009, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a wiring issue in the repaired area, possibly a missing/bad ground.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:26 AM

My repair was to the left front. Don't see any loose wires anywhere. Are there separate grounds for the indicator lights other than the 2 wires that go to the bulb holder? Lights flash fine on all 4 corners when I use the emergency/hazard switch. When I have the brake pedal pushed and the brake lights are on, if I hit the turn signal lever to the left or the right it makes the brake light itself go dim on the left or the right, whichever way I hit the lever. Man, electrical problems can be the hardest thing to track down and solve.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

What you're describing is what can happened w/ an open ground and the circuit is backfed. They are tuff to find.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:07 PM
Default Turn signal wont work

The bike has an LED rear tail light that has the signals integrated. Also has LED front turn signals.

The bike has had these for over a year and never had this problem.

I took the tail apart and nothing was pinched. Turned the bike and it still did it. The only way to "stop" it is to turn on the right signal and then go back to the left one and it will blink.

None of the wires are mixed up as I didnt take them apart.

Im baffled.