Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

'87 Digital Dash

Old 06-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Default '87 Digital Dash

I recently ran a post concerning the repair of my dash cluster per instructions on batee.com and adding new polarized film on the front of the lcds to replace the sun faded film on them. This all workedto get it working and the new film made it look new and the gauges are clear and working except for a ground in the bulkhead connector, or a couple of bad sensors.
I had not driven the car at night, and hadn't turned the lights on, but the other evening I turned them on and the dash went out. When I turned the lights off, the dash came back on, working just as before. Each time I turn them on, the dash goes black, and when I turn them off, it comes back on again. Did I dream this up, or did I read somewhere in these forums that someone had the same problem and it turned out to be the headlight switch. I replaced mine last fall, because of a near meltdown, luckily I was in the car and turned the lights off before it became a fire, I replaced it with a gm switch. Gordon Killebrew doesn't address this issue in his book, which I bought, nor is it discussed on batee.com. I need ya'll. Thanks.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:41 PM

The light went out on one side of my gauge cluster so I bought the light bulbs and replaced them. Now, mine has the same exact problem. I also bought a new headlight switch and checked fuses and I can't figure it out. So your not the only one with this problem. If you figure it out please post what you did.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:22 AM
Default Digital dash does not work at night

I noticed that after dark, when I pull on the lights, the dash goes dark. When I turn the lights off, it comes back on. I turn the lights on, and with the dash dark, shine a flashlight on the photocell in the upper left corner of the digital dash console, and it lights back up. I suspect either the photocell, or maybe I read about the ambient temperature sensor in Gordon Killebrew's book, don't know which one is the culprit yet, but I believe it will be one of them. Will let you know if I find out.