Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

88 more problems MAF???

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 01:14 PM
Default 88 more problems MAF???

OK, in my previous post I fixed the burn off circuit problem for the MAF (code 36). One of the things I did in that process was clean the sensor with CRC MAF cleaner. After getting the burn off to work I drove it to work this morning and theengine faltered and died. Then it started back up and ran fine. The next few times I tried to start it, it started hard. It would fire but die immediately like it isn't getting fuel. Finally it wouldn't start at all. It fires, but dies immediately. I can hear the fuel pump running. Now I unhooked the MAF sensor and it starts fine. Did I kill the MAF sensor? I don't want to spring for a couple of hundred dollars if I have another problem. Any thoughts?

Also, will it hurt to run it with the MAF sensor unhooked in the mean time?

Old 10-24-2008, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 88 more problems MAF???

You killed it and unplugging it will give poor economy. That puts it in a limp in mode.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:21 PM
cwb

Well, maybe before spending tons of cash, try this:

ORIGINAL: cwb

Get someone with ALLDATA, or Mitchell's online, to print out diagnostic procedure for you. Offer a few bucks if necessary.

Then turn on the multimeter, and get testing!!!
Unless you're rich and don't need to do diagnostics, then can I have some money?

Old 10-26-2008, 07:39 PM

Don't have lots of money[8D] Did diagnostics and replaced the MAF sensor. Seems to have fixed things for now. It really idles smoother and seems to accelerate better. The old one must have been going. I'm wondering if fixing the burn-off is what did it in. It had been sitting for nine years. Maybe when it recieved the current for the burn-off cycle it fried it...

Are you supposed to clean the MAF sensor? I have read that it is to be done regularly, but it seems it may have killed mine. Not something I want to repeat. Any thoughts???

Old 11-05-2008, 08:12 PM

After I replaced the MAF sensor I eliminated the starting problem but then I was getting code 34 almost every time I started the car and then I would be in limp mode. This was increadiblely annoying. I got a diagram of the MAF circuits and a troubleshooting flow chart and averything checked out as it should. I finally determined that I must have gotten a bad MAF sensor and took it back and exchanged it. Same thing. I finally decided to give up and take it to a shop. Before I did I read one more thread here where someone replaced both of the MAF relays and got rid of a code 34. They were $10 each so I did it and guess what. Three days now with no codes and no limp mode. Even though everything tested OK there must have been an issue with one of the relays. Most likely the power relay. I think I am finally to the bottom of my electrical issues for now.

Still looking for opinions on cleaning the MAF sensor. My mechanic told me not to with these older style sensors. He says they are so sensitive that he hates to even touch them.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:18 PM

I have an 88 and had a similar problem. Thought it was the MAF sensor but I only replaced both relays (power & burn-off) and the problem disapeared. The code went away as well. Your mechanic is right; don't mess with the MAF sensor. The crap the sensor wire picks up in the air during operation is burned off when the engine is turned off & the wire gets red hot for a few seconds (thus explaining the burn-off relay). There is no need to spray any cleaner into the MAF. BTW,if you haven't already, spray the throttle body valves with TB cleaner for improved idle, etc. Hard starting when the engine is warm may be an indication you have a leaking fuel injector. Regards