Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Loose Steering Column, HELP ! ! !

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 03:57 PM
Default Loose Steering Column, HELP ! ! !

I am hoping someone can help me with a small steering/tllt wheel problem. I have a 93' coupe and the steering wheel at the tilt joint moves a little. I took the wheel off and tore it down all the way down to the beering and race and the problem doen't seem to be associated with the this shaft. If you grab the wheel and push/pull toward the 7 o'clock position it'll wiggle a little (there is resistance up against the tilt spring). After buttoning up the wheel I moved under the column and and took a look to see if there was anything loose (removed the brace to get a better look) and things look fine, although you really cant do much with this adjustment except when you are replacing the column. I STUMPED ! I've changed columns before and replaced steering wheels before but I have now clue on where the problem is... any ideas would be helpful.

p.s. I just recently purchased the car and this problem was probably caused by the old owner hanging onto the wheel getting in/out of the car, thought the info might helpp

Thanks

Old 12-03-2008, 07:38 AM
Default RE: Loose Steering

I have a problem with my 84. It appears that something is missin from the lower u joint where it connects to the intermediate shaft. It just showed up and I can't figure out what happened. There is a roll pin thru the shaft but the collar it goes through is much larger which allows for a large amount of play in the wheel. I'm stumped and find no detail in my Chiltons manual. Help?