Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

91 convertible hatch issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 05:53 PM
Default 91 convertible hatch issues

Folks,
I just bought a c4 1991 that has been sitting in an enclosed trailer since 2017. I bought it from an estate the owner died so I have no history. The top was down in the trailer so I’m guessing it didn’t work when it was out in the trailer although I don’t know for sure. The battery looked new and was dated 10/2017. Anyway, I got a new battery and am troubleshooting. There is a yellow button / switch in the center console it does nothing, no clicking. There is another yellow button under the hatch which also does nothing, no clicking. I’ve checked all the fuses in the fuse box, I’ve removed the kick panel and checked the fuses in the aux / supplemental block under the glove box they all look good. How do I identify the relay? Is there a relay? Solenoid? I don’t even know where to check it for power.

Old 03-27-2022, 07:25 PM

The best advice I can give is to buy a good quality shop manual specifically for you car.

Old 03-28-2022, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. You can get the factory service manual from Helm, Inc. Just check them online. You can probably get one from some of the aftermarket Corvette suppliers also.

Old 03-28-2022, 07:56 PM

The yellow buttons are the rear hatch release buttons. Both do the same thing. Do all the interior lights work now with the new battery? According to my wiring diagram the power for the switches comes from the rear hatch courtesy lamps. If they are not working could have a bad ground. Or both lamps are burnt out, no voltage to the switches. Poke around with a volt meter, check the fuse with an ohm meter to confirm it's good. Could also be the latch is frozen from sitting. There are manual release rings attached to each end of the latches which should allow you to open the hatch. Then you can at least see the latches.

Old 03-28-2022, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by KTM rdr
The yellow buttons are the rear hatch release buttons. Both do the same thing. Do all the interior lights work now with the new battery? According to my wiring diagram the power for the switches comes from the rear hatch courtesy lamps. If they are not working could have a bad ground. Or both lamps are burnt out, no voltage to the switches. Poke around with a volt meter, check the fuse with an ohm meter to confirm it's good. Could also be the latch is frozen from sitting. There are manual release rings attached to each end of the latches which should allow you to open the hatch. Then you can at least see the latches.
hmmm great question. I didn’t know there are 3 courtesy lights. The two on the doors work and dim like they should. I will look for the third light, I assume it’s in the center. New info as of last night. The buttons on the doors work and release the hatch.

Kevin

Old 03-29-2022, 09:03 AM

Morning update:
all the courtesy lights are working in the interior the two in the stow area use orange and white wires. The wires to the hatch release buttons are yellow and brown so I’m guessing they are not the same circuit or pull from the same power source. I was able to trace from the hatch button back to passenger side to find the harness disconnected but the brown wire and connector were cut and not connected. No power to either lead in the main harness. There is a yellow wire in the auxiliary fuse holder mounted under the glove box that has power when the key is on. No power with the key off. There are 2 fuses labeled conv something but it’s smudged so I can’t read it.

I am starting to think I have a bad relay somewhere. The gauge wire to the buttons is really small like 18 where the wires to the fuse holder is like 12. Does anyone know if there is a relay and if so where it is located?

Old 03-31-2022, 03:03 PM

Folks,
Thanks for your help this problem has been solved. It was a bad relay that was mounted in the passenger side luggage compartment under the removable tray. All 4 the release switches now work.

Kevin

Old 04-01-2022, 01:21 AM
Super Moderator

Great. Glad you found it and posted the solution. 👍