Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

92 vette has no spark, help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Default 92 vette has no spark, help!!!!

This is a 92 6 speed vette. After shifting hard into third gear the thing just died. The fuel pump is working, i can hear it when i turn the key. I pulled a plug and cranked it and saw no spark. Could it be the coil pack? loose ground strap? Any ideas?

Old 06-01-2007, 01:22 PM
Default RE: 92 vette has no spark, help!!!!

ok, i read and learned that this car has the opti spark dist. The car has not seen rain in 10 years and it does not leak coolant. where is the coil? i dont see a ignition wire leading to a coil anywhere.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:33 PM

ORIGINAL: bergs

ok, i read and learned that this car has the opti spark dist. The car has not seen rain in 10 years and it does not leak coolant. where is the coil? i dont see a ignition wire leading to a coil anywhere.
I am no expert here, but I *believe* that the coil is integrated into the opti spark unit itself. It's a bear to get at, from what I recall on my LT1 in the Camaro I used to have. It's typically right underneath the water pump, you should be able to trace the wire looms back to it,if I recall correctly.

Some folks have had problems with the opti's in the rain and going through car washes. They are a bitfragile in thatregard. Was there anywater at all near your car when it died?

Of course, the other possibility is the opti just gave up the ghost. I have heard of that as well, before.

But, anyways, I defer to some of our experts here to chime in and provide some more details and/or corrections to my post here.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

does the neutral safety switch interrupt the spark or the entire ignition? Just a guess.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:44 PM

if you have the optifart....i mean optispark system, LT1 engine, then the coil should be on the front of the even bank head(passenger side head). decently easy to get to...had one not too long ago was same thing..no spark that is. Take the coil wire off and look at the post....if it is not TOTALLY shiny silver, replace the coil(these are very sensitive to rust...even the slightest can at least cause idle problems). check that out and let us know.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

If it has no spark, you might need to verify injector pulse also. These opti can be prone to crank sensor failures due to rust and corrosion buildup inside the distributor on the 1st generation ones if it has never been updated with the newer ones that have the vent built into it. You can get a noid light at any auto parts and plug into one of the injector harnesses and turn engine over to see if you have pulse. If you do, might be coil or coil wire, if not, look to distributor problems.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:58 AM

I agree with mech259.Your injectors may not have a proper pulse.If the opti-spark kicked the bucket,I would replace it with the later,vented ones.Since you have to remov the water pump to get to it,why not replace the water pump too,if you're not sure about it? I did when I tuned up my '96 right at 99,000 miles.....and I've had no problems with anything....still runs like a champ at almost 112,000!!!! Your friend,Joe.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:32 PM

ORIGINAL: JoeVetteman

I agree with mech259.Your injectors may not have a proper pulse.If the opti-spark kicked the bucket,I would replace it with the later,vented ones.Since you have to remov the water pump to get to it,why not replace the water pump too,if you're not sure about it? I did when I tuned up my '96 right at 99,000 miles.....and I've had no problems with anything....still runs like a champ at almost 112,000!!!! Your friend,Joe.
If you go with a newer model opti you will be changing the timing cover and various internal parts related to the timing gear.

Go with Dynaspark - I believe its a direct bolt on.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:29 PM

sounds to me like OPTI spark related they just go out all the time usually water related but none the less they go out $$$$$$$$

Old 08-07-2007, 09:51 AM

ORIGINAL: LeesVette

If you go with a newer model opti you will be changing the timing cover and various internal parts related to the timing gear.

Go with Dynaspark - I believe its a direct bolt on.
Thought I'd chime in and say the MSD unit is also a direct bolt on and comes with fresh air hoses for venting. Another member on here says he's gotten it wet and didn't have any problems. I haven't installed mine yet, it just arrived yesterday. I'm replacing my water pump as well. 105,000 miles......