Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Antenna mast replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 10:48 PM
Default Antenna mast replacement

Hi All:

Got my new antenna mast replacement from Ebay today, and went to install it. Took about 3 hours. and the job's still not complete. New mast is the incorrect size... (shaft dia too small) and will have to be sent back for the proper one. Not necessarily the Ebay seller's fault. I think that there are 2 possible motor assemblies installed in the '92. Apparently they have different diameter masts. Hopefully we'll get the correct one from the Ebay guy without much hassle.

At any rate, I jacked the car up, removed the wheel and the inner fender well to gain access to the antenna motor unit. Glad I did...it's tight in there even with all of that stuff out of the way. LOTS of grunting and invective. With the tire still on and the wheel well in place I think you'd have to have SUPER skinny arms to reach up in there and do what needs to be done...let alone be able to see anything.

Took the motor off it's mountings (2 nuts) and was able to spin it around enough while still hooked to it's various wires to be able to remove the old mast, open the body of the motor assembly and remove the broken-off part of the old mast still stuck inside. Couldn't figure out how to undo the wires and antenna cable without just cutting them, to completely free the motor from the car. Didn't want to do that. NOT fun. This was the point at which it became apparent that the new mast was a smaller diameter than the old mast, and would not work.

Put it all back together, and am now waiting for the new, correct mast to arrive from the Ebay guy. Should be able to install that easily from the topside when it gets here without further teardown......I HOPE.....

As a side note....FM stereo reception seems just FINE...with NO antenna mast at all! Go figure.

Did I just do it the hard way???????

Old 10-15-2006, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Antenna mast replacement

As I said in another post, if the old mast ladder broke, you will most likely have to slpit the casing on the old motor to get whats left out so the new one will work properly. Yes, it is still difficult (On a Corvette [:-] ) to get to, but, hey, its a Corvette.

Old 10-16-2006, 10:11 PM

Hi,all;
Did the same job on my 87.
I have Borla mufflers so I just removed the muffler on that side,
They bolt on like header mufflers, and went up from laying on the ground.
Yes still a pain, 3 hours was about right,had it out twice.
The wires and antenna lead went into the trunk and have a connector
just beheind the door,( roadster).... CP

Old 10-17-2006, 01:47 AM

OK Mech..... help me out here....

As I removed the old mast, I was so preoccupied with other stuff that as the old mast was expelled from the motor unit, I neglected to note which way the teeth of the ladder were oriented.

If I take my best guess, and it's wrong...will the ladder just not feed into the motor? Then on the next attempt I turn the teeth orientation 90 degrees and repeat until it feeds in? My best current guess is that the teeth should point to the rear of the car as I'm attempting to feed it in.

Bad idea or good idea?

Thanks!

Old 10-17-2006, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

That will work, but the best way, teeth are facing the chamber that they coil into. Easy! Like Staples commercials, hit the "EASY" button. LOL

Old 10-17-2006, 02:56 PM

My antenna won't go up, how can I check to see if it is getting power before I have to remove the whole assembly? And if I have to remove the assembly, should I go from underneath or remove the wheel well? (1991)