Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

bad market for C4's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 12:14 AM
Default RE: bad market for C4's?

It is truly a buyers market, I was in Pigeon Forge Tenn, over the weekend at the spring Rod Run and there were several C4s for sale there. I saw a 91 Convertible White/Red in better than avg condition selling for 8k. If I did not have my current car I probably would have been interested in it myself, it had 61k on it. However, I saw a 86 Pace Car with the stickers on it selling for 14k and that car had 90k on it. It was a real cream puff though. I personally paid 7200 for my car last summer and it had 82k on it. It was in better than avg condition. I guess it really depends on the year of the car and whos looking. Your black 94is Gorgeous BTW!

Old 04-28-2007, 02:22 AM
Super Moderator

Well, first off I guess I'm a geezer and I keep my foot out of it most of the time. The fact that it is an auto instead of a stick makes it less tempting to launch it at lights. Those are just averages as well, some times I only get areoud 20 in town. Not much stop and go traffic when I am normally out and about and it's just a small town so there isn't much traffic any way. The only things I've done to it since I aquired it are installation of a K&N air filter, cut the air filter cover, and removed the screen from the air meter, as far as mods. Like I said my cousin was real **** about maintenance so the car is in really great shape and runs fantastic. Other than the typical "old car" things it's in just like new running condition. Guess everything is still tight inside or the guy that built the engine had a good day that day...didn't drink too many beers the night before...LOL. I can fill the tank and drive from my house to Challenger powerboats in Washington MO(372mls) at 75 mph and still have about 3/8ths tank left when I get there. Cheers

Old 04-28-2007, 02:49 AM

Lucky. I floor it though. Its 2 much fun!

Old 04-28-2007, 02:55 AM
Super Moderator

Me too some times .....just cain't help myself.....love the feeling of going sideways. Not too good for the tires though...LOL. Be carefull little Brother.

Old 04-28-2007, 09:18 AM

Thanks for the praise red90. Any big shows down there in greenville? I love the downtown , we use to visit quite often a few years ago! still have a friend coaching soccer at a local club.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:57 AM

Kevin Whitiker Chevrolet host some shows down here occasionally, but other than that nothing really going on withCorvettes here, but alot of people here own them, you rarely go down the road and not pass several. Amazingly, there are still alot of C4's around here, particularly pre-90 cars.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Black86vette

You get that good of mileage in town??????? .
The secret to great gas mileage in a 'vette is: use the torque, not RPMs. If you need to accelerate, push down far (even all the way) on the throttle but shift at 2000-2200 RPM max. That way you minimize both frictional and pumping losses inside the engine - it can make 3-4 mpg difference. And a 'vette will keep up with traffic nicely, even shifted that low, at least if you nearly floor it at those low RPMs.

Before I modded my 'vette I used to shift at 1800 RPM on the drive to work and got around 26 mpg if the AC was off, about 24-25 with it on (My drive to work is 50/50 streets and crowded -- i.e., 35-45 mph --highways, only three of four traffic lights but lots of corners and a few slow crawls at stop signs.

Now, even with the mods, I still keep it below 2000 RPM in daily driving and I get an average of 23 mpg (AC off) on the drive to work, which astounds to me giventhe engine's mods

PS - this is why the factory puts the skip-shift in the cars - to force the car to go into very low RPMs when just "driving normally" which its torque will pull at low speeds, so it will get improved economy and help GM's corporate average fuel economy rating..

Old 04-28-2007, 12:58 PM

I have an automatic.....Can I still shift it like you said manually....Start in first shift to second then drive then overdrive??? Is this bad for the transmissioin or is it ok?

Old 04-28-2007, 03:01 PM

No, I think only the C6 paddle shifters can force an automatic upshift early.

Old 04-28-2007, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

My experiance with "Slush boxes", is that they don't like to be shifted manualy,
but that's from several years ago. I don't know squat 'bout the newer automajics.

Ya eggbutt, that's a fine lookin' "Black Beauty" ya have there!

Quick Reply: bad market for C4's?