Old 10-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 10-22-2007, 12:55 PM
Default RE: BOSE

The stock system Blose......

Old 10-22-2007, 01:32 PM

Even though Bose brand equity is extremely high with the general public, some of their products are not what most "audiophiles" would consider good. Overall, Bose enjoys great success, not because of their product, but because of their advertising.

The factory chose to Partner with Bose for a reason... we may never know why. Some of the factory GM / Bose systems sound good. When taking out the factory head unit, it is important to interface the aftermarket head unit properly to the Bose amps or IT will sound terrible. This is the key and I suspect most aftermarket head units are not installed properly. Also, if you bypass the Bose amp and wire the aftermarket head unit directly to the speakers, you also bypass any equalization that was in the Bose amp. The end result is that you will have "sound", but it may sound worse than factory.

The "correct" way to install an aftermarket system, where a previously installed Bose system was, is to install a good head unit, replace all speakers, add necessary amps and an equalizer (this is the most important piece of equipment for system tuning).

Again, if you want to do it correctly, this would be where to start.

CG

I have been in the mobile audio field since 1983 and I still learn things to this day.
ORIGINAL: snoopdan

ORIGINAL: cwb

Yeah, vette's suck too, since ya have problems with 'em.

Life sucks too for some people, causethey get a cherry in their bowl of pits.

Bose is the only speaker I know of that has an internal amp, that takes ambient noise in yer vette, and plays it back in its acoustic inverse, to cancel out the junk noise.

There is no better system. Maybe another brand that takes after Bose, but GM decided to not go that way.

It will NOT sound better.
First off, you have no idea what you are talking about. He has a bose system in his 86, there is no noise cancelation circuity in any of the bose amplifiers. Its not that bright. Hell, they mostly blow up or burn out because of the leaky capacitors on the amp motherboards anyways.

Best advice to the original poster is just to get an aftermarket headunit, and bypass the speaker wiring that goes to your stock bose amps and wire the aftermarket head unit directly to the stock speakers. Im sure someone will replay and say "the stock speakers are 2 ohms".... so what, all headunits now-a-days can support 2 ohm loads which doesnt even take in account for the normal impedience rise from the little bose enclosures behind the stock speakers anyway. Sure, it might not get you a sound quality competition award or anything, but it will sound better than stock crappy bose amplifiers.

so basically :

BOSE = Buy Other Sound Equipment

Old 10-22-2007, 01:58 PM

ORIGINAL: Curious George

The factory chose to Partner with Bose for a reason... we may never know why. Some of the factory GM / Bose systems sound good. When taking out the factory head unit, it is important to interface the aftermarket head unit properly to the Bose amps or IT will sound terrible. This is the key and I suspect most aftermarket head units are not installed properly. Also, if you bypass the Bose amp and wire the aftermarket head unit directly to the speakers, you also bypass any equalization that was in the Bose amp. The end result is that you will have "sound", but it may sound worse than factory.

The "correct" way to install an aftermarket system, where a previously installed Bose system was, is to install a good head unit, replace all speakers, add necessary amps and an equalizer (this is the most important piece of equipment for system tuning).
Mostly I agree with what you say, excluding the highlighted parts. The stock bose amplifiers have no equalization on them - they're just straight full range amplifiers. Ive bench tested it myself on some old 86 bose door amps (which again is what we're refering to in this thread since the original poster has an 86) and they are just full range amps. nothing fancy. In my opinion the only equalization occouring is being done indirectly due to the small ported enclosures that the stock speakers sit in. Bose purposely tuned the port on them a little above the FS of the speaker to get a little punchier midbass out of them... I mean, hell..they're just 3.5's ya know.

As for equalization, most head units now come with some sort of passband equalization and boosting capability allthough of course it varies from unit to unit. And really the door speakers are so small and crappy to begin with, some 5.25's or 6's really should be the replacement standard even if you have to mount them free air without baffles in the doors. And if you've gone thru that much effort to do that, chances are you've bought componant level mids/highs with passive crossovers in them anyways which add furthor equalization on a non adjustable level.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:37 PM

I have been reading all this discussion between Bose and whatever for a sound system. AndI have got to say that the absalute best sound you can get from ANY Vette, is that great rumble you get from your engine with a fine tuned exhaust. There is no better sound, But thats my opinion.[sm=shades.gif]

Old 10-24-2007, 09:12 PM

had my Bose system completely rebuilt $315 (head unit and all four amps), I believe that it sounds pretty darn good now. If you want more info just post up here and I'll get back with you.