Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Brake Issue

Old 06-08-2007, 09:40 PM
Default Brake Issue

I have an 84 that sat for quite awhile before I got it,resolved most issues to get back on the road, except for brakes. I could slow down to about 5 mph, but not fully stop. I could kick it into nuetral and get it to stop.
New master cylinder, four new calipers and pads....same issue. I have a real solid pedal. Now, ifI'm coasting in neutal, stops instantly. In gear, at idle, about 700 rpm, hard on pedal, it will start to creep.

All I can figure is that it's a transmission/ torgue converter issue? Is that even possible? Any clues out there? This is beginning to get a little old.

I even put it on jack stands, and at idle, I could not fully stop the rear whells from turning.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:04 PM
Default RE: Brake Issue

Boy, I guess it's possible your torque converter could be staying partially locked or damaged? The clutch inside the torque converter locks up for direct hook-up at about 40 MPH and is controled by a switch in the tranny, if this were to stay partially engaged and not release to return to a true fluid coupling, it could cause problems. Hopefully one of the real experts will chime in and help a little more.

Old 06-09-2007, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you have an issue with your proportioning valve or a restriction in your rear brake hose not allowing enough pressure to reach the rear calipers. When it starts to creep, does your pedal drop any?

Old 06-09-2007, 07:07 AM

I really don't loose any pedal. Mech, it staws solid, and the harder you push, it works a little more. just way too much pressure need for the results you get. At the master cylinder, the rear line dose have a tiny "kink" in the line at the bend at the fitting. Bleeding the brakes, there was a lot of fluid at the bleaders, so I had sort of dismissed that. Haven't been underneath to trace the lines there and check them. This may be it.

Dans, I was thinking along your lines. I have not changed the trans fluid and filter yet. Since that needs to be done anyway, I'll get to that. It just feels that the trans is "driving" all the time.

Thanks, I really want to get this thing on the road.....and stopped.

WideOne

Old 06-09-2007, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

Really don't think transmission is the problem. Torque converter staying in lockup will kill the engine at a stop sign. Have you checked front brake for pressure. I really think you have a proportioning valve problem, with all pressure going to rear brakes.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:19 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: WideOne

I have an 84 that sat for quite awhile before I got it,resolved most issues to get back on the road, except for brakes. I could slow down to about 5 mph, but not fully stop. I could kick it into nuetral and get it to stop.
New master cylinder, four new calipers and pads....same issue. I have a real solid pedal. Now, ifI'm coasting in neutal, stops instantly. In gear, at idle, about 700 rpm, hard on pedal, it will start to creep.

All I can figure is that it's a transmission/ torgue converter issue? Is that even possible? Any clues out there? This is beginning to get a little old.

I even put it on jack stands, and at idle, I could not fully stop the rear whells from turning.
I think mech is right about the tranny - no problem...

If you can slow down normally to about 5 mph, and THEN the problem starts, you have a brakevacuum boost problem. Higher rpm's gives plenty of vacuum brake boost, then at lower rpm's, you have less vacuum, less brakes. You go to neutral, get a few more revs, more vacuum boost (no torque from the TC either, of course), and it stops.

Go to a big parking lot, pull AND PLUG your vacuum lead to the brake booster, and if all conditions stay EXACTLY the same, you have a brake booster problem.

You might have in addition a proportioning problem (to include air in the line), like mech said.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:18 PM

Thanks guys, sorry to be so late in replying.

I can't believe the LAST thing I replaced was the power brake booster. That was most deffinately, the biggest problem. I now have plenty of brakes and a much smoother idle and running car. Oh well, I had intened to replace everything else anyway.

Sometines it's easy to get caught up in over "complexing" a problem.

Thanks again for the reply's.

Randy

Old 06-25-2007, 03:00 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: WideOne

Sometines it's easy to get caught up in over "complexing" a problem.
Fully automatic assault wallet[sm=shootshoot.gif][sm=violent053.gif]

Spray new parts at the problem, and hope one hits the target! Of course, you can keep replacin' more parts too, and the brakes will get even better!!!