Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

theft deterrant removal... car wont start!

Old 02-17-2006, 12:15 AM
Default theft deterrant removal... car wont start!

Hello guys , im new here at the forum I have a 99 C5 , witch im having some problems with , the damn alarm unit keeps getting activated i already took it to the dealership and the gave me two new keys , still nothing the car doesnt start , starts for 2 seconds and the fuel shuts off .. I know that on camaros and trans ams the VATS can be overriden with a simple device, does anyone here knows how to build the device or remove that theft deterrant crap...

thanks

Old 02-17-2006, 01:06 AM
Default RE: theft deterrant removal... car wont start!

Do you see any messages on the D.I.C.? If the column lock actuator fails, the car will shut down after you attempt to drive off. If you see "Service Column Lock", you may have to have your actuator replaced and then get a CL bypass so that it never happens again.

Another possibility is your ignition switch. I've heard of at least a couple of them that went south and had to be replaced. If weird things continue to happen, a ground wire may be intermittantly connected. Wiring harnesses can lose electrical contact if the car is driven in the rain frequently.

Good luck.

Old 02-19-2006, 09:35 PM

ohh yeah the cluster displayed the "Service Column Lock" and ABS , then when I disconect the battery and after some time i connect it again the car starts but then it displayed the "pull key for 10 seconds" sumthing like that and it never goes away..

if i shut the car and wait 5 seconds the car wont start again and it becomes very dificult to start , the injection pulses are shut down i tested that part , when i start the car 2 sec remains on and then shuts down , i pulled the PCM and there is rust around it but the harness and harness connectors looks in good condition...

would this might even be related to the BCM Theft system? or there is any other chance that is sumething else...

thanks

Old 02-19-2006, 11:21 PM

Are you sure you really have new keys that are a good match? Or it might be the ignition switch module is bad.

Old 02-20-2006, 03:57 AM

The other thing I don't understand is why your car was working at the dealership. Column lock relays can work sporadically, but eventually will fail. When you turn the ignition key, do you hear a "Bzzzzzt" from the column lock pin retracting? If not, and if your car had never been equipped with a CL bypass, the dealership will replace the CL for free. However, I would still install the CLB afterwards. Now if your CL is okay, I would suspect the ignition switch. If you just can't figure it out, you might want to have it towed to a dealership having an experienced Corvette mechanic on board.

Good luck and please let us know what happened.

Old 02-20-2006, 05:43 PM

The funny part is that the car was taken to a Chevrolet dealer and they couldnt find anything , Im located in Mexico fo business so u got me here with my vette broken and I had to buy a car here to move arround ...
That was the first thing i did take the car to the dealer. the had the car for over 2 months and nothing so I decide to pick it up and figure it out myself at home....

They provided me with a barnd new set of keys they took one month to get them from the USA , so having my vette towed to my house in Houston could become quite expensive hehehe not to metion a hassle...

I got some codes from the ECU , a friend of mine let me borrow his scanner..I post them later on , most of them are lost of comunication ralated., but the part that makes me laugh the most is when i disconect the battery for 2hrs come back plug it and the bastard starts and I can drive it all day long with no issues , as long as I dont shut it down ....

thankyou I apreciate you guys help !!

Old 02-21-2006, 03:54 PM

these are all the codes I got from the Scanner

BCM
b2723 pass key defect check short volt/open

ENGINE

po102b maf sens cke low frequency
p1518a pcm to tac mod serial data cke
p1517a com vs act tp perf (tac mod)
p1514a tac sys maf perf
p1220a tp sensor 2 circuit
p1120a tp sens 1 cke

SIR

B1001 see service manual
u1040 lost of ebcm/ebtcm comuntication
u1016 lost com with engine sus
u1000 class 2 data link malf

all of these code were given to me by the dealership , by the way when turn the keyt on there is no bzzzzt sound present

what u guys think??

Old 02-22-2006, 02:10 AM

BTW, you don't need a scanner to get the codes, although a scanner will probably help decipher the what the codes mean. The owner's manual describes how to get the codes to display in the D.I.C. window. Having such a variety of codes may mean that a wire harness is getting intermittant connections OR your battery is ready to die. How old is the battery?
If you don't hear a bzzzzt sound from the column lock pin pulling out upon startup, you may already have the column lock bypass installed. The dealerships have been installing blocking plates in automatic tranny C5s, but will not do the same for MN6 C5s.

Lastly, check this out:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...875&forum_id=1

It contains a world of electrical info.