Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Cooling Problem - Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 10:29 PM
Default Cooling Problem - Please Help!

Hi, I have a '91 Vette - 6 speed manual. A month ago I replaced the coolant temperature sensor located on the passenger cylinder head and because I was not thinking I didn't have the other sensor right next to me so all of the coolant leaked out of the block. I then couldn't figure out how to put the coolant back into the radiator as I filled the reservoir and the motor wouldn't suck in any of the coolant. So I drove the car a block to the nearest gas station and they were able to put the coolant back in. However now I drive the car and the car is running around 220 which as I recall it never ran past 180. Today the car went up to 230 and by the way the fans still kick on as well but it really doesn't cool past 200. I popped the hood and bravely squeezed the upper radiator hose and I could completely squeeze the radiator hose as hot as the hose was - as well as the lower radiator hose.
My theory is that there's too much air in the lines - how can I bleed the coolant system to get rid of the air? There's plenty of coolant in the reservoir as well as the upper reservoir where the radaitor cap screws on.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shane

P.S. This motor was completely rebuilt 4,000 miles ago - 2 years ago - by a racing shop and kept completely stock. All of the pistons, valves, seals, water pump, radiator, etc. were replaced - the motor is in great shape.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:16 AM

I believe there is an air bleeder right on top of the water pump on mine it's a brass colored knurled **** thingy right where the upper radiator hose is. Since it's lower than other parts of the system it seems like it will only work when the engine is running,try it both ways. Oftimes when a problem arises after something is changed the problem IS the item that was changed? I think the right hand sensor is the fan control so is it cycling your fan at a higher temp than the old one? Why did you change it in the first place? Can you get one of those point and shoot IR thermometers and check to see if the car is really that hot?