Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

couple a/c problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 01:36 AM
Default couple a/c problems

Ok guys, my turn to ask a couple questions. I recently converted my a/c to 134a after it not working for atleast 10 years!!! So it is definately nice to not to have sweat lines in a shape of a seatbelt after a short trip. Its cool, but not cold. One problem, i can not get it to blow only out of the panel vents, it blows out of the panel and floor. Defrost, floor work fine. If it is a vaccum issue, how much psi do i need to look for it to operate properly? What else should i look for? Is there a recirculation system in the 86? If there is, i dont think its working properly either. Thanks for the help.

Old 08-22-2006, 10:08 AM
Default RE: couple a/c problems

I think I can address the blowing cold issue....perhaps others can weigh in on the vacuum control on your 1988. The system sat unused for 10 years? What was the reason for that? Oftentimes, if a compressor failed or the system was open for a period of time it needs to be flushed and the dryer and orfice replaced. What you want is unrestricted flow. Prior to charging you want to pump down the system to remove any moisture which can also hurt ac performance. That said, I have done a lot of r12 to r134 conversions and have been really pleased with the results. The trick is the prep work and properly filling the system. What are the high/low side guage readings?

Old 08-23-2006, 05:42 AM

It sat for 10 years because my uncle (the person i bought the vette from) didnt fix the a/c after it had become de-charged. I replaced the compressor, accumilator, orifice tube, and flushed it out well. I figured the compressor wouldnt be any good after not rotating for 10 years. One thing i am concered about is we dumped about 1.5 oz more oil in than we should have. I dont remember the low side, but the high side presssure seemed to be around 225 or so.

It may just be too damn hot...ext. temp gauge would read 105 or more when i felt it was not getting cool. The air coming out of the vents is cool, but by the time it gets to me, 2.5 feet away, its not. Im sure it would go along way if i could get all of the air to come out of the panel vents.

Old 08-23-2006, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

If you can, post your pressure readings. Couple of other things to consider if pressures look normal, since it sounds like you have vacuum issues. 1 is your blend door might not be closing off your heater core since vacuum might be low and the other is vacuum should be manifold vacuum, approximately 18 inches. You might have a vacuum leak or control head is leaking. Do you have automatic climate control? ATC has temp settings, manual does not. If you have ATC, you might have a programmer bad, seen quite a bit of that back years ago. Feel your suction line to see if it feels cold, colder than your outlet temp. If it does, then you have blend door problems. Good Luck. [8D]