Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Crossfire injection to carb swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 09:43 PM
Default Crossfire injection to carb swap

I am changing from the 1984 crossfire injection to A carb, is there anything with the trans or distributor i need to change.
and if you answer this let me know also how to reply to answers directly. I am new at this.

Old 07-29-2006, 11:52 PM
Default RE: Crossfire injection to carb swap

I did this to an 86 model Z28 years ago and heres the run down as it applied to that car, which should be about the same as yours.
Edelbrock single plane aluminum intake (can't remember part #)
Edelbrock 600 CFM carb, Part # 1406

That'll get fuel flowing but you're gonna need a new distributor. I got one from Autozone set-up for a 1979 Impala which got me mechanical advance and vacuum advance. I ordered a kit from Summit Racing made by Crane Cams that allows you to tune your advance curve with different weights and springs as well as an adjustable vacuum advance canister. That way I could dial in my ignition timing curve since the distrubutor you have is all electronically controlled as far as advance is concerned

One thing you'll need to do that I did not is get a fuel pressure regulator since the Cross Fire set up runs around 15 PSI and you only want about 6 or 7 with a carb or you'll disable the float in the carb with too much pressure. You'll also have to wire the fuel pump to a manual switch OR hook up a relay that turns the pump on with the ignition.

At that point, make sure to zip tie the unused wires and run a ignition switched hot wire to your choke to make it work correctly. You'll have an "Old School" set up as far as the engine is concerned. Now onto the trans.

Drop the pan and you'll see a square shaped piece at the front of the tranny. It has two bolts holding it on and it's called the Torque Converter Control. It's what makes you're torque converter lock-up in 3rd and 4th under the right conditions. All you have to do is use a "check ball" on the top of the TCC switch and the transmissions hydraulics will lock up the converter at road speed. If you don't care to do it this way, just wire up the TCC switch to a toggle switch inside the car and you can lock up the converter by applying 12 volts to the solenoid at the flip of a switch but it will only lock up in 3rd and 4th. I went the check ball route and it worked fine and automatically. It'll disengage at about 3/4 throttle either way when you're trying to pass.

I could've left out a few things but if you're a little experienced, you'll fill in the blanks.

Let us know how it works, it saved my Z28 since the previous owner cut about half the wires during the rebuild.

Old 08-10-2006, 09:25 PM
Default RE: Crossfire injection to carb swap

Well, how's this swap going??? I'm surprised no one else jumped in to provided any help. I guess it's not too common a swap and most people just probably wondered why you were even doing it. I know from experience that cross-fire injection can be a real pain in the butt so I can certainly see where you're coming from. Let us know and Good Luck!!!