Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

difference between cam types?

Old 10-27-2006, 05:21 AM
Default difference between cam types?

i was wondering if anyone could point me to some websites that explain the difference, and pros and cons of the different types of cams, i.e. solid roller, hydrolic roller, flat tappet, etc. This is one of those things thats always nags me cause i could figure out what they were. Or if the explanations are easy you can just tell me. Thanks.

Old 10-27-2006, 10:46 PM
Default RE: difference between cam types?

http://www.airflowresearch.com/articles.php#SBC This should help get you started. I dont know if it answers your direct quiestion but its a good site. What year is your vette and what motor is in it??????

Old 11-02-2006, 04:08 AM

ive got an 86 with a stock L98. i will eventually mod it out, 383 stroke and all that. i thought i had it all figured out til i heard people talking about different cam types, and then i realized that 1. i had no idea the difference and 2. now i have a lot of research to do to make sure all my mods work together.

i understand the whole thing about intake and exhaust duration, lobe seperation and all that, but what seperates flat tappet from roller, and etc.?

Old 11-02-2006, 03:15 PM

ORIGINAL: raisinbran

ive got an 86 with a stock L98. i will eventually mod it out, 383 stroke and all that. i thought i had it all figured out til i heard people talking about different cam types, and then i realized that 1. i had no idea the difference and 2. now i have a lot of research to do to make sure all my mods work together.

i understand the whole thing about intake and exhaust duration, lobe seperation and all that, but what seperates flat tappet from roller, and etc.?
I might be off base here, so take this with a huge grain of salt... I do believe that roller rockers reduce overall friction/load on the top end of the motor, thereby allowing it to rev faster. In 1986 I worked at my uncle's Ford dealership, and this was the first year the Mustang GT had a roller cam in it. We had a new, unsold, 1985 on the lot at the same time one of the new '86's with the roller gear showed up. The difference was noticeable, amazing, and palpable. The new design revved like a scared rabbit in comparison to the '85 model. And that translated to direct seat of your pants feeling, that was for sure... now, I am sure they did more than just change the cam that year, there were other changes, and maybe my observations were the perceived experiences of a semi-drunk 19 year old.