Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Exhaust Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 07:37 PM
Default Exhaust Issues

I'm new to the VETTE WORLD and finally after raising kids and 20 yrs of marriage I've finally got my dream car. Shes a labor of love, and I love the looks you get when people pull up and stare at your vette. The prior owner had installed the straight pipes. They give you an AWSOME RUMBLE at idle, but while driving all you hear is ROAR. don't get me wrong, that like music to my ears, but sometimes all you want is quiet. What is a good muffler to install? Also the gas mileage sucks. I am also thinking of replacing the KYB SHOCKE with some more comfortable.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Default RE: Exhaust Issues

If you have lots of money and like quality the GHL exhaust is good, othersise the Borla Stinger. Both are flow through and free of most resonance. They sound good but aren't that loud. Your 'vette sounds too extreme to enjoy.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:16 PM

Borla is the best exhaust on the market for a vette or any other car
T304 stainless goodness with a million mile warranty
It has a throaty yet suprisingly quiet tone that makes tears come to my eyes its so beautiful

[/align]

Old 05-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

Borla makes good systems but I hadthe Borla Stinger on mine and at 60 mph you couldn't sit in the car because you couldn't hear anything. Just to loud, they called it their more "aggressive" mufflers. []

Old 05-13-2007, 04:10 PM

Welcome aboard! There is a product you can install under your carpeting.It is called Therm-well. Was desinged as a heat insulator for water heaters I believe. However, works GREAT as a sound dampener and heat shield in Vette'.

WAY WAY WAY cheaper than the stuff they sell "especially for Corvettes" and it is the same material. You can usually find it at Home Depot or any other hardware store or online if you want to pay the shipping and handling

Keep the wave alive bro[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 05-13-2007, 10:11 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: m.martince

I'm new to the VETTE WORLD and finally after raising kids and 20 yrs of marriage I've finally got my dream car. Shes a labor of love, and I love the looks you get when people pull up and stare at your vette. The prior owner had installed the straight pipes. They give you an AWSOME RUMBLE at idle, but while driving all you hear is ROAR. don't get me wrong, that like music to my ears, but sometimes all you want is quiet. What is a good muffler to install? Also the gas mileage sucks. I am also thinking of replacing the KYB SHOCKE with some more comfortable.
C4 is inherently noisy. That's with factory pipes. Then there's the resonance at mid-rpm's. You probably don'f have to worry too much about a too-restrictive muffler - the flow restrictions on a factory TPI are on the intake side, not the exhaust.