Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

First Time In The Shop

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 03:43 PM
Default First Time In The Shop

I just took my 93 convertible in to the shop last Friday to get the O2 Sensor replaced. I used the same shop as I have used for years for my other vehicles. Always honest work at a reasonable price and this time was no different. They only charged $153 for the repair which I thought was very fair. The car runs fantastic now and I am very happy with that, but I was very unhappy about the careless way my car was treated. There were greasy hand prints on the windshield, hood, doors and the one that really got me, on the new roof. There were also scuff marks on the door panel. I can fix all of this and in fact already cleaned the top, I just feel that the mechanic didn't care. Anyway, I called the shop owner Monday morning and told him of my concerns and he assured me that he would talk to the guy that worked on my car.

Old 10-18-2006, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: First Time In The Shop

As an owner of a repair shop, I preach to my guys all the time, there is a reason why I buy those paper floor mats, wash your hands before test driving, and if you do get a little dirt on the car, clean it off. Don't hold all of us in contempt. LOL

Old 10-18-2006, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Good for you, don't let that crap slide!
If it happens again, let them know right away. Maybe if the mech has to clean up his mess, he'll be more carefull next time.

Old 10-26-2006, 04:43 PM

Oooof, that kinda stuff drives me insane. Ya, you've gotta mention it, and hope that it doesn't happen again. Mind you, finding a good honest mechanic is harder'n findin' a set of snakes feet these days... when ya do, you buy them Christmas cards every year. We do for ours.

Old 10-26-2006, 05:17 PM

DEFINATELY let them know. Tell them it is un-acceptable.
[:@][:@][:@]
That crap like that makes me crazy also!!

Old 10-27-2006, 05:05 PM

There is no reliable mechanics here. I just assume do the work myself.

Old 10-27-2006, 07:52 PM

You know thats sad [:@] when it's tough to find a good reliable, and honest mechanic these days. I normally take my vehicles back to the dealer for service / repair, but that doesn't neccesarily mean that the job is going to get done right.
I know there are a few good shops / mechanics out there but the pickens are gettin slim.

Old 10-27-2006, 10:21 PM

Hey I got nothing against the dealership as they MADE my car. It's just its so expensive and im still in high school. My parents cant take on all the responsibility. Also the "stealership" doesnt like messing with my car as its old. They also are just so busy here they rush thru it. I know from fellow chevrolet drivers they arnt as effiecient as they should be. If I was a mechanic I would be honest, up front and be cheap and reliable. In the old days with the real hot rods, a handshake was all you needed to get a guarantee. Now a handshake means nothing. Im a teenager and know this. What is wrong with the adults today. Funny story though. My car was running really rough and I took it to a shop and he told me and my father that my cam had carbon build up on it and would need to be sent to a machine shop with about 2000$$ repair. Woah. I was shocked. I thought about it and ya no how you have to have the right amount of spark. Hmm checked the plugs wires coil and distributor lol. The distributor had a screw that was too long when it was replaced at a local tune up shop and it was hitting the rotor button and so it would not get the correct spark lol. Pretty sorry huh. I almost fell for that guys trick. He said to go ahead and get my motor rebuilt too to save money. UH HUH. My car is perfectly fine now.