Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

HELP PLEASE...My Vette runs like crap!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 11:15 PM
cwb
Default RE: HELP PLEASE...My Vette runs like crap!!

Before ya' spend cash on a new sensor, see if ya' got voltage comin' in TO it.

If you got no voltage comin' TO it, DON'T buy a new sensor yet.

If you got power To the sensor, see next if you can ground 12 v through the sensor's other (ground) wire. If ya' can't, that MIGHT be the short circuit, stoppin' a good o/t sensor from workin'...

Old 02-29-2008, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

The sensor does NOT have 12v to it. It is a 5v reference from PCM and it is a 3 wire sensor, meaning it has a 5v reference, a ground and signal to PCM to measure oil temp, and after a little research, the oil temp code does not affect driveabilty. It is used to measure oil life on the oil life monitor system. How it works is the oil temp average will be higher on deteriorated oil than on fresh oil and when the oil temp average reaches a certain calculated point, the code can set. If the reset procedure does not clear the code, then the sensor might be at fault.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:48 PM

I just had my oil changed and reset the light on the dash. Plus my Change Oil light came on about 500 miles before the scheduled mileage. As a note my oil temp gauge and my engine temp gauge do not work. I also have only two lights that are faulty on my dash that I know of. I have a "CHECK GAUGES"light and a SEAT BELT light. So................................................ .If the oil temp sensor does not affect driveability then..... it must be the EGR and the dirty throttle body and maybe some other dirty stuff like the plenum or .....................NOW WHAT?

Old 02-29-2008, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

It's going to be hard to say. EGR normally affects idle, not under throttle. I would need to know fuel pressure readings, try unplugging MAF to see if performance improves. Try unplugging coolant sensor just to see if that improves it. Other than that, I would have to see scan tool readings, try an injector balance test, so forth. What shape are your spark plugs?

Old 02-29-2008, 11:30 PM

Hopefully I will get a chance to do that plug check tomorrow. I was thinking of pulling the radiator and cleanig it and under the plenum. Also the TB and plenum if able. Thanks-Kev

Old 03-01-2008, 06:18 PM

Hey mech259,

Not to hijack, but I just noticed that you live in lumberton. Im about 45 minutes north of you in Jasper. Do you do mechanic work down there? If so maybe I'll bring you my vette when something goes wrong, or maybe to upgrade some more. Its got a forged 383 stroker with aluminum fastburn heads and miniram intake, just need some spray now .

Old 03-01-2008, 06:43 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: mech259

The sensor does NOT have 12v to it.
Who told him it does have 12 V TO it???

Old 03-02-2008, 08:16 PM

ORIGINAL: cwb

ORIGINAL: mech259

The sensor does NOT have 12v to it.
Who told him it does have 12 V TO it???
Kind of sounded like you did in your previous post but who knows, I am an idiot.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:24 AM
cwb

Yeah - it KINDA' did... But yours truly did NOT say look for 12 volts comin' in. Your truly said to check for VOLTAGE comin' in - ANY voltage.

Yours truly DID say to see if the ground wire at the sensor would ground out a 12 volt current. I said 12 V, because that's all he's gonna' find layin' around, for testin' purposes of a good ground.

ORIGINAL: cwb

Before ya' spend cash on a new sensor, see if ya' got voltage comin' in TO it.

If you got no voltage comin' TO it, DON'T buy a new sensor yet.

If you got power To the sensor, see next if you can ground 12 v through the sensor's other (ground) wire. If ya' can't, that MIGHT be the short circuit, stoppin' a good o/t sensor from workin'...
No problem tho' that someone ELSE thought I meant to look for 12 V comin' in.

We all know what they say about assumptions, and what it makes the 'assumer' look like...

Now, where were we?

Old 03-03-2008, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, I have an ASE certified shop in Beaumont on west College st.

Quick Reply: HELP PLEASE...My Vette runs like crap!!