Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

HELP PLEASE...My Vette runs like crap!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 01:31 AM
cwb
Default RE: HELP PLEASE...My Vette runs like crap!!

ORIGINAL: cwb

Before ya' spend cash on a new sensor, see if ya' got voltage comin' in TO it.

If you got no voltage comin' TO it, DON'T buy a new sensor yet.

If you got power To the sensor, see next if you can ground 12 v through the sensor's other (ground) wire. If ya' can't, that MIGHT be the short circuit, stoppin' a good o/t sensor from workin'...

Find the o/temp sensor and the coolant sensor, since both ain't workin'. Do as I said in this other post. Check for voltage comin' in (110 volts, right mech[sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]) Then check to see if you can ground whatever voltage you can find layin' around, through the sensor's ground wire (usually 12V, but if you can find 5V, try that to keep mech's blood pressure down) And who knows - maybe 12 V and 5 V ground differently[&:].

Here's a pic of the coolant sensor:
Name:  P1210040.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  87.1 KB

Usually it's 2 wires - power and ground, on a blade-type connector. Better make sure with you-know-who tho', we dont wanna' start any cerebral anuerysyms. Then you can start trackin' missin' voltage to the sensor, or a bad ground.

Do the same with the oil temp sensor. Post back results.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:12 PM

okay, first things, first. Where is that pic taken from? is it inside the valve cover? if so, lets talk about intimidation. then let me tell you that i don't know when the fuel filter has been changed either. could this be causing some of the "like crap" running problems? also, i never got a chance to check my plugs or wires. i was also wondering how to check my cap and rotor for correct timing. i see "BTDC" and am thinking this means "something" (B) top dead center. what does the "B" stand for? besides the sensors... could these factors play in the previous discussions?
HEY!!! in case i have not said it enough... Thank You Very Much - Kevin - zr1clone

Old 03-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

That pic is with the left cylinder head removed. I see no Coolant Temp sensor. The CTS is in the intake manifold facing forward just below the thermostat housing. It is a 2 wire GM Metripack connector, 1 wire 5v reference, 2nd wire signal return, (Sensor is a reverse thermistor, meaning, the hotter the temp, the lower the voltage return to the ECM)and is grounded through the engine block. BTDC is ignition timing set to spark 4 -6 degrees before the piston reaches top dead center, that is, before it reaches the very top of its stroke.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:59 PM

Okay. Thanks. So that clears up the BTCD question. I guess I'm gonna get a chance to check some things out tomorrow... if the rain stops.