Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Installing keyless entry on 1986 to 1992 Vettes

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 10:56 PM
Default Installing keyless entry on 1986 to 1992 Vettes

I finally decided I wanted keyless entry for my 1992. This is a job that requires soldering and electrical skills. The kit I selected was from www.directedstore.com. The kit was a BOA 105B Keyless Entry System for $49.99 for existing power door locks. The kit comes complete with a circuit tester and everything except a relay (I'll get to this later). They also provide a 48 hour link to their installation site which has (mis)information regarding specific car wiring.

1) Drop the access panels below the dash
2) Locate the wiring harness next to the drivers kick panel
3) Identify the proper light blue (power lock) and black (power unlock) wires. In case you are wondering, Vettes use Type C door locks with reversing polarity. These wires need to be identified using the circuit tester provider by BOA and tested using the passenger door lock/unlock switch.
4) The following pictures (show the wires you need to locate. Once located they need to be cut and attached to the BOA wiring harness as follows:
Lt Blue + to H1/11 Brown/Black
Lt.Blue o to H1/12 Blue/Black

Black + to H1/8 White/Black
Black o to H1/9 Green/Black

This is where the BOA instructions will mess you up big time. I did it their way in the photos and had to redo it because they had the lock/unlock wiring reversed.

I'll continue on the next post.

Old 09-25-2006, 11:39 PM
Default RE: Installing keyless entry on 1986 to 1992 Vettes

Part two:

5) Locate the Light Green wire in the same harness (thinner wire) and test it using the key lock. This wire is critical to sending the proper signal to the VATS unit. Splice the Light Green/Black H1/14 to it. You are done with that harness and can solder and tape the connections.

6) Under the steering column are the RED (Constant Power 12+) and PINK (Ignition wire) locate and test. Connect the wires as follows:

H1/2 RED to RED
H1/10 violet/black to RED
H1/13 violet to RED
extra wire for relay to RED

H1/3 YELLOW to PINK

The extra 12 volt + wire for a relay is necessary because the BOA system generates a negative ground for the parking lights. The Vette requires positive voltage to power the parking lights. A simple automotive relay is required to solve this problem by using the BOA unit to provide a ground trigger to the relay and triggering power to the parking lights. Now where do we find the parking light wire?

7) Parking light wire is really hard to find. The easiest way to find it is via the access panel near the switch itself. Be patient, once you find it make sure it is the right (brown) by testing it. Spice into it and attach the other end of the wire to the load side of the relay. Make sure you have constant 12v at the other load point with a jumper to a trigger terminal. Connect H1/6 White to the other trigger terminal. This will provide the ground to the relay when the BOA device is activated.

8) You have completed the wiring and now can test the system prior to buttoning everything up The first time you plug the contol unit into the harness, it is open to programming the remote. You do this by plugging in the control unit and by pushing down on the PROG button on the remote itself. If everything works right the door locks will cycle and it's celebration time.

I had to disconnect and reconnect the control unit a couple of times to get it right not to mention the wiring rework.