Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Keyless entry problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 03:25 AM
Default Keyless entry problem

My keyless remote keeps acting up. I thought maybe the battery needed replacing so I put in a new one. When I reprogrammed the remote (I only have one remote) The horn would beep like once every 30 seconds or so.. Maybe once every min.. It would do that a few times and then stop. The remote would work fine for a day and then it wouldn't work again. I've done this now a few times.. I know the battery is good and the remote is probably good also. I'm thinking I need to replace the receiver that picks up the remotes signal. I saw that Bmwdiver said in another post that the receiver also controls the tire pressure sensors (TPS) also. I was told by a chevy parts guy that if I replace the receiver, I'd have to reset the TPS also. Can someone here tell me how to do that or if it's true? I actually got a receiver from a guy at my local chevy dealer for free and I don't want to bug the guy by asking how the heck to re program the TPS. So can anyone help me out on this? Thanks.. John

Old 10-17-2005, 11:34 AM
Default RE: Keyless entry problem

I'll get back to you this afternoon once i get home and can consult the manuals and my friends at the plant then post the response. there is quite possibly a better way to fix it. i just want to make sure

V/R
bmwdiver
[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 10-17-2005, 01:07 PM

Thanks dude, I'll check back tonight..

Old 10-18-2005, 09:13 PM

I would change the battery again. If that does not fix it -- this will sound strange, might think about turning the battery around. I had a remote for a Mercedes once that only sort of worked because the battery was reversed.

Old 10-18-2005, 10:45 PM

ok here goes, this is kinda lengthy but step by step on how to re-program the tire pressure sensors, First things first did you get the system scanned, if there are any error messages make sure to clear them then retry the system before switching out the reciever. the problem definitely sounds like an intermittent fault in the serial data between the reciever and bcm check all the connectors and wiring to make sure nothing is pinched or grounded and that ther is not a lose connector. if everything is ok then yes you probably need to change out the reciever which is located in the left rear wheel tub under the trim plate, ensure the ignition is off . once complete before programming the key FOB make sure the fob is not in passive mode, then follow the steps below to re program the tire sensors (*** to program the tire sensore the use of a strong magnet is required , GM specifically designed and magnet in the shape of a tool calling it the TPM system programming tool J41760, although i have never tried it with out this tool its nothing more than a u-shapped magnet with a hole to allow it to be place right up against the rim over the valve stem***)

IMPORTANT: Make sure the vehicle is stationary for at least 2 minutes before attempting

1. turn the ignition to ON
2. press the REST button in order to clear any IPC display warning messages
3. Press and relwase the OPTIONS button on the DIC to scroll through the display options until the IPC display is blank
4. Press and hold the DIC RESET button for 3 seconds
5. press the OPTIONS button again until the TIRE TRAINING message appears.
***note if the TIRE TRAINING message cannot be displayed, and the IPC is functionoing properly, contact me and i'll wal you through programming the RPO codes.
6. Press the RESET button until the IPC LEARN L FRONT TIRE message appears in order to begin the programming sequence
7. install the j41760 ( magnet ) over the left front valve stem
8. the horn will sound, indicationg the left front TPM sensore is programmed
IMPORTANT: if the horn doesnot sound after 15 seconds, remove then reinstall the J41760 Magnet tool. this procedure may have to be attempted up to three times in some instances.
9. when the horn sounds, proceed to program the next TPM sensor in the following order as directed by the IPC messages:
-Learn R front tire
-Learn R rear tire
-Learn L rear tire

Hope this help
bmwdiver

[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

if left in the program mode for more than 2 minutes without learning a sensor the system will turn off th eprogram mode and the proces will have to be started over.

Old 05-13-2006, 12:11 AM

Hi,
Just wondering if you ever got your key fob working. I am having the same problem. I had to replace the original fob. The new one worked a year or so and then stopped. I replace the battery and still wouldn't work. If you go through the fob training it will work for about 30 seconds to a minute or so and then stop again. I was about to order a new one again and thought it really doesn't make sense that it is the fob itself or seems like it wouldn't work at all! I wanted to see if you solved the problem with yours.
Thanks!!
Anita