Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Lean Crossfire :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Lean Crossfire :(

Another thing to consider, I have seen the outer ring of the harmonic balancer slip and that will throw you a curve when trying to time the engine. [:@]

Old 09-01-2006, 02:59 PM

ORIGINAL: mech259

Knock sensor is grounded through the body of sensor to the block. Have you tried the "tap" test I described earlier and watch scantool reading? If the ESC is on yes all the time, chances are the knock sensor might be bad, or the ESC. Knock sensor are made of quartz crystal and are tuned to certain frequencies as detonation produces a frequency that makes it generate a small voltage so the module can tell when your engine is detonating. [8D]
God dude, sometimes you frighten me with your knowledge base.... [8D]

Old 09-01-2006, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

Been twisting wrenches for 30 years.

Old 09-05-2006, 02:25 AM

Another thing to consider, I have seen the outer ring of the harmonic balancer slip and that will throw you a curve when trying to time the engine. [:@]
BINGOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks dude, the darned harmonic balancer was the culprit off 13 degrees [sm=badbadbad.gif], so what I did was start from the beginning and took it one step at a time, however now I know just about every nut and bolt size under the hood, however just did the finishing touches today on the paint and she's just about brand new, I have all the insides coming this week from CorvetteAmerica.com . Mech259 thanks for all of your expertise as this is muchly appreciated and hopely some other 84 Vette owner comes around with this issue and finds this thread . Thanks for all of your help once again. Feel free to contact me if you ever need anything. As I'm a software developer and have many pieces of software out for mainly online marketing purposes . However we do custom software for anyone of anything they may need or desire. I would be so kind to assist you in anything that I know of if you ever need it to repay you for your kind assistance here.

All the best!

Old 09-05-2006, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

NP. I'm just glad you found the problem. Seen more 302 and 351 Fords have that problem than most, but occasionally see Chevys too. [8D]

Old 09-06-2006, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

I think I might have the same problem with my 86, although I haven't really had time to delve into it. Still working on the restoration and having a hell of a time getting the hood to line up. Real PITA. [:@]

Old 09-06-2006, 01:59 PM

I think I might have the same problem with my 86, although I haven't really had time to delve into it. Still working on the restoration and having a hell of a time getting the hood to line up. Real PITA. [:@]
Let me tell you this, working body work on fiberglass isn't fun one bit... I can't actually stand it, I have seen more issues with this 84 vette with body work it's not even funny. I did a carfax on it and it's been through 7 auctions in it's lifetime and 9 owners [:@] from California all the way up to Seattle. However I found this car for $1200 so I'm not complaining too much "You get what you pay for" is my old saying to it all. Talk about hood issues. I couldn't figure out why the left side of the hood was so loose. So one day the weather stripping by the firewall and in between the hood I found to have dropped down some.... Well long story short, I just tightened it up and put a few screws in and wallah all fixed no more hood rattle or jumping around while driving.

I have another issue now of some weird chemical reaction in the paint on the right-rear quarter panel which I've sanded more times in the last 3 days and reshooting it than I have on the whole car... Talk about a nightmare of body work now...

All the best!!!

Old 09-06-2006, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

Well, the body work doesn't bother me. I did all the paint and body work myself. If you ever have to pull the hood off, be sure and mark the hinges very well so you can put it back the same. It is a first for me and I finally got i licked tonight. Hood closes good, opens good, fits good. Now I can finish the rest of the car. I have a similar problem with mine as you but I check the balancer tonight and it is right on the money. I think my problem is the rebuilt fuel injectors I got. The must be for a TPI 305 in a 80's IROC, cause it is real lean and I can richen the fuel mixture with propane and it helps a lot. SO, I am gonna bite the bullet and get some new injectors for it and change them out. Let u know how it turns out.