Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Most miles you've seen on a vette??

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 12:23 PM
Default Most miles you've seen on a vette??

I haven't posted alot on here but I've been "stealing information" from you guys for a long time.

Anyway my current 94 coupe has almost 180k miles (mostly highway) with absolutely no problems (knock on wood). I've replaced the normal stuff, drive belts, brake pads, charged the ac, replaced radiator that developed a slight weep, replaced weatherstrips, etc. but in my opinion the car is in better shape than many of the lower mileage vette's I've seen lately. Just curious if anyone here has passed the 200k or 300k mile mark?

Old 08-16-2006, 02:09 PM
Default RE: Most miles you've seen on a vette??

Man, this is a question that I am interested in too. I think I saw somewhere else on my wanderings a dude who had well over 300K miles on his and was still LOVIN' it! I recall the key to the longevity was regular oil changes. I believe if you maintain these puppies, you can see years and years and years of enjoyment from them...

Conversely, I saw one with about 60k miles on it when we were shopping for ours, and the thing was a total piece of junk. I mean total junk. Needed a new motor, tranny... pretty much everything.... and they wanted $20k for it!!!!!

Old 08-16-2006, 07:57 PM

TS your right!

I keep trying to explain that to my kid (he doesn't listen of course) the oil change is THE single most important thing you can do to prolong the life of any engine. Take care of your baby and she will take care of you

Old 08-16-2006, 08:26 PM

Super, I can't help but think of all the crap that floats around in the engine. An' yer bearings etc., they need GOOD lubrication or over time they can start to wear improperly... especially if there's ANY dirt in there at all. The odds of having NO dirt whatsoever in your crankcase? I'd say about 0. And the oil filter; another key aspect of proper lubrication, IMHO.

When it comes to the Chevrolet 350 engine, I have witnessed the most amazing things in terms of power and longevity. Both from the perspective of premature death due to improper maintenance, all the way up to 500,000 miles on a motor that really doesn't blow any blue at all. The common denominator between both extremes has been maintenance (oil changes), from what I saw.

If it were me, bro, I'd steal his car one night and just take it down to the Jiff-E-Lube!

Old 08-16-2006, 08:40 PM

an oil change is the cheapest insurance you will ever have on your car.
P.S. it always pays you back !!

Old 08-16-2006, 09:16 PM

ORIGINAL: white88

an oil change is the cheapest insurance you will ever have on your car.
P.S. it always pays you back !!
*hi5's white88* There is no way, NO WAY, I could agree with you anymore'n I do, my friend! Well put!!

Old 08-17-2006, 01:00 AM

You guys have inspired me so much with your comments I think I'm gonna go ahead and change my oil again this weekend!

I'm a strong believer in synthetic oils too and always used Mobil One in my motorcycles and vettes. I'm not bragging but I have seen several vettes like Topspeed said that were ragged out pieces of junk with a whole lot less mileage than mine. Keeping up with maintenance and inspection of belts, hoses, and usual wear items makes all the difference in the world. I want to break the 200k barrier before I sell mine.

Old 08-17-2006, 02:46 PM

*nods emphatically* It's one of those things, in my books, pay $50 now or $5000 later, sorta thing. Over the years, I've become quite **** about maintenance on cars I love. Ones I hate, not so much, but the ones I love... drives my wife nuts at times!

Old 08-20-2006, 02:39 AM

Been there done that...

Finally had to sit my wife down with pen and paper to prove to her HOW important an oil change is (in any vehicle).

She thought I was being **** about my baby! LOL!!!

Foollish spouses, Vettes are for kids

Old 08-21-2006, 05:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Superdzzz

Been there done that...

Finally had to sit my wife down with pen and paper to prove to her HOW important an oil change is (in any vehicle).

She thought I was being **** about my baby! LOL!!!

Foollish spouses, Vettes are for kids
*thumps on desk* GREAT post!