Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

MSD Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 10:36 PM
Default MSD Ignition

Anyone have any experience one of these in a C4? I would like to get a MSD Ignition in my vette. I am told it gives 20 horsepower back. That was from a vauge friend with a v6 mustang with some mods. He claimed his 02 pony has 400 horsepower from a V6 with a MSD ignition, cold air intake, new exaust, and one of those hand held tuners. I think it was deablo or summin. I dont think he had that much maybe 300 or so at tops. So would the ignition do any good. WHat is a price range on this thing? Labor? Thanks![&:]

Old 03-21-2007, 02:42 PM
Default RE: MSD Ignition

I PUT MSD OPTISPARK ON MINE IT SEEM TO RUN SMOOTHER AND IT DONT CUT OUT EVER TIME I WASH UNDER THE HOOD BUT THATS ABOUT ALL

Old 03-21-2007, 03:02 PM

They provide a better spark, so you will get each and every horse out of your car that is possible, but they will not increase horsepower. Or if they do, it is something that is near impossible to measure.

MSD makes great products, that work VERY well, but don't expect an increase in performance from that system. If your ignition system is already in fairly good shape, you will not really notice any difference at all. BUT! Your gas mileage will be the best it can be, and you will be ensured that your spark is great, so it's a really good system....

Old 03-21-2007, 09:10 PM

Well. Mine is 21 years old. Im sure its on its last leg. It would most likely help because sometimes I do have hard starts when its cold. I think I might look into that down the road. Atleast it would improve my gas mileage. I know this is probalbly off topic but I figured Id share this story with you guys.

Ok. I own my 86 vette with a few small mods. The guy that owns the mustang was a semi friend and my best friend is pretty good friends with him. They both think that the v6 pony with those mods I mentioned would give my car absoloute hell and would be a close race. I honestly dont think so. I mean yea his car is nice looking and hes done some things to it...Ok....Its still a v6 mustang. He seems to exagerate his horsepower ratings by far. I have more mods than him that actually do something and he does alot of mini things and somehow this horse is transformed into some ungodly race machine.....Im not putting down on it but .......I mean come on a v6 pony against a mildy modded vette. Hes 20 and I am 18 so theres not much driving experience difference.....Just thought I would finish up to why I was asking about the MSD Ignition. It annoys the **** outta me when people like that talk smack but he never did wanna race. Now he upgraded to a 06 mustang GT.. He has a basani X pipe and he CLAIMS a tune for "a supercharger" which correct me if im wrong but if he had a tune for a supercharger but no charger his car would be so flooded with gas it couldnt even run. But I just want to see what you guys think. Say he did have the tune and the X pipe. Can he really tear my car up or what do you guys thinik. I am not going to race on a public road. Just to see what all this crap talk is about. Thanks! Oh yea, His car is super quiet. Makes me suspicious that its still the stock exaust. One last thing, he has a short throw shifter kit because its a manual.[&:]

Old 03-27-2007, 03:56 PM

A forced induction tune on a car without a forced induction system will NOT run right. I believe you are correct; she'll run very rich.

I gotta say, bro, I don't think an MSD system will do anything for you, with what you've mentioned here. You won't notice it. I put one on my Mustang GT a couple years back, just to ensure we were getting full spark across the spectrum, and that car was warmed over. It made no difference whatsoever, in the HP department. It was a good modification to make, but I wasn't expecting any noticeable results, and didn't get any.

You got the L98 in yours, right? Have you considered going with those other rockers that some folks mention? I can't remember the ratio off the top of my head; I think mech would know.... anyways, from what I've heard, just changing those makes a difference you can actually feel in the seat of your pants.

Sorry for sounding negative here; I am just trying to help you avoid disappointment.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:13 PM

Id rather not go into the "heads/cam" departemnt quite yet. That might be asking alot on a fairly stock engine with not much upgrades to the rearend pistions crank ect....I believe your talking about the roller rockers. 1:6 is the ratio from my understanding....No expert and might be wrong. I was just wondering. Just seeing options and looking at cosmetics, and horsepower upgrades. Im hoping everything is getting close to staying in working order. ALL!!! main componets have been repaired to my understanding....So yea, its a toss up with this car and its age.[&:]

Old 03-27-2007, 07:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Black86vette

Id rather not go into the "heads/cam" departemnt quite yet. That might be asking alot on a fairly stock engine with not much upgrades to the rearend pistions crank ect....I believe your talking about the roller rockers. 1:6 is the ratio from my understanding....No expert and might be wrong. I was just wondering. Just seeing options and looking at cosmetics, and horsepower upgrades. Im hoping everything is getting close to staying in working order. ALL!!! main componets have been repaired to my understanding....So yea, its a toss up with this car and its age.[&:]
Yep!! That's the ticket right there, my friend. The 1:6 ratio rockers. I *believe* they can be replaced with no other modifications, and actually produce a pretty good whallop for the coin.

I hope one of our experts comes in this thread and cleans up the mess I've created here.