Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

MY CARS A PIECE OF ****

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 05:39 PM
Default MY CARS A PIECE OF ****

Ok today was the last straw I hate it. It always leaves me stranded and I cannot take it no more. I was coming home from school about 2 1/2 hours ago and I heard a loud thump. I didnt know what it was so I kept going about 15 minutes down the road I get to a stop sign. and the car feels weird. I start pulling out and one of the tires locks up apparently and tis smolking and im flipping out and I pulled down ten feet into a parking lot was so upset didnt even look at it. Tried calling home nobody answered adn I had to walk a hour down the road to get to my house. I got yelled at by random people walking home which made me more mad. I am waiting for my dad to come home. We have gone thru this time and time about it leaving me stranded but I cant take it. My body aches right now. I never had this much problem with my first vette. Why me??? I guess a caliper pin fell out. It happened on my first vette but it was because I was doing a burnout. I am just to upset to go down and look at it.

Old 11-02-2006, 06:58 PM
Default RE: MY CARS A PIECE OF ****

Oh geez, bro!! What a pain. I am real sorry you are having issues like this. For the most part, from what I can tell from our experience and experience of some of our friends here, these are pretty reliable cars. They do need more TLC than some more prominent models out on the roads, can be hard to find parts for, but these are all the things that make it a true sports car.

I wish I was nearby so I could come down and try to help.

I also hope that you feel better soon, and can find and fix your problem. Hopefully it won't be too bad to fix it, and you'll be back on the road lickety-split. Best wishes.

Old 11-02-2006, 07:11 PM

That same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. My caliper fell completely off the rotor! Why do they use a pin to hold it in place? Seems rediculous to me.

Old 11-02-2006, 07:20 PM

WOW![][][]

I am soo sorry my brothers. I have never heard of such problems on Vette's. I too wish I could help you however I am disabled and have a very hard time working on my own baby. It kills me to have to pay people to do the simple things.

Even when there is a major malfunction I still forgive and forget. Much like my wife, she gives me too much joy to get rid of her over some "bumps in the road".

Good luck and don't give up the faith. There is a reason for everything that happens. Maybe there is a lesson to be learned. I don't know. As with my injury, I can't figure the lesson out myself but I just keep on going day-to-day.

Hope you feel better and your father can help you out!

Keep us informed

Old 11-02-2006, 08:28 PM

Where in the Carolinas do you live Black?

Old 11-03-2006, 09:16 AM

lol. Im just laughing now. Ahh not only did the pin fall out the actual bolt that holds the caliper fell off. When I tried to pull in the lot, since the front right tire locked up. It complety destroyed the tire, ate the inside of the rim up GODDDDD that sux but its still ok. Who the hell would put a cheap nail sized pin to hold a freaking caliper in place. Oh well. I am not going to give up. I was just really pissed. I live in concord, N.C. I am going to NAPA today and am going to try to find another tire. It left a nice burnout going down the road though Thats alot of power. haha. Oh well. Thats life and I gotta suck it up. Ill stickk with it and tough it out. There is really not much left to replace. Also has anyone noticed that the heat from our hoods cooks all the belts, hoses wires ect. Also the coolant gets so hot in these motors that it gives off the vapor smell of it. WTF was GM thinking. Our insultatioin in our house is made of fiberglass. I wouldve made the hood of something else or atleast put some vents on it. Supposedly that is what the side gills are for, but they are so low they dont do much as heat rises. I wish I could afford a vented or high rise hood but I dont know how much it would help if any.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:39 PM

I don't recall if you have installed the dual fans system or not. Also, a lower degree thermostat helps. They do sell a "special" type of coolant on MADVET @ about $30 for 30oz I believe. I do know the cockpit gets reallllyyy hot! When I redo the carpeting this winter I am going to put down a layer of Thermawell from HomeDepot. It is supposed to be awesome for heat and sound insulation. Plus, it is a lot cheaper than the stuff designed for Vette's.

Old 11-03-2006, 09:53 PM

That thermowell stuff. Does it really knock out sound? I need that. I removed my exaust system completly because I am trying to rework it. So its blaring under my feet. Also yea its so hot my butt sweats like mad haha. I cant afford that stuff at MAD vette. Way to expensive for me.

Old 11-06-2006, 03:45 PM

Glad to hear you're back in the saddle again!! Best of luck, there, my friend.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:21 AM

ORIGINAL: Black86vette

That thermowell stuff. Does it really knock out sound? I need that. I removed my exaust system completly because I am trying to rework it. So its blaring under my feet. Also yea its so hot my butt sweats like mad haha. I cant afford that stuff at MAD vette. Way to expensive for me.
Hey, check this out...
I have not installed it myself, YET

However, I have heard awesome results from others (sound and heat) specifically for Vette's

Can't beat the price either[sm=groupwave.gif]