Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

New Clutch; Lots of Noise. Need Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Default New Clutch; Lots of Noise. Need Help Please

For starters, let it be known I have little to no background in the mechanics of how a car works, so my terminology may be slightly off or incorrect. I'll try to explain my problem to the best of my ability.

My clutch went out on my 94' about 2 months ago. I took it to my local car mechanic to get a new clutch and flywheel put in. It took them a while to find the parts, but after 2 months the car now has a brand new clutch and flywheel in it. The clutch (or maybe the flywheel???) is the lightweight, aluminum, NON dual mass, and has no damping springs according to the mechanic and came from J & D Corvette shop in California if it means anything. Now the problem is that when the car is idling, for a few seconds after I shift, or whenever I step on the gas, I can hear this rattling noise coming from underneath where the clutch is at. It isn't a grinding noise, though, just a rattling as if the parts aren't flush and there's too much room to move around. I tried to do some research and found some info about 'gear rattle'. Could this possibly be what is happening, and if so is it something to worry about or to just get used to? I don't know if this is normal for a new clutch that isn't broken in, seeing as this is the first clutch I've ever had replaced, or if this is a problem I need to get fixed ASAP for. Any and all help or information about this problem is greatly, greatly appreciated. I can provide more information to the best of my abilities if you guys need more. Thanks to all of you that take the time to help beforehand!