Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

New Member/AC Control Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Default New Member/AC Control Problem

Hey folks. I'm a brand new member and need some advice. Figure this is a good place to start.
My name is Brad (by the way)

I've got a 1994 Automatic Coupe nearing 72K miles.....love the car...my 1stVette.

I was having problems with the A/CControl Unit in the dash,changing fan speeds, and turning the unit on and off. I pulled the unit had it sent to be referbed and/or checked by a group through Ecklers. I also had to pull the A/C clutch fuse asit got stuck in the running position.

Just got the unit back, plugged it in, but get no lightsabove the buttons.(I at least got lights on before sending the unit off!!) Plugging the fuse back in, restarts the A/C fan, so had to pull itagain.

Currently this is my daily driver (which I don'tmind..HaHaHa) but with fall here, I have to be able to use the defrost soon and need to find a solution.

Any advice anyone???Thanks.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:12 PM
cwb
Default RE: New Member/AC Control Problem

For starters, you're gonna' need a multimeter, to find where power is on, that it ain't supposed to be on.

A good starting point is the lights that DON'T come on above the buttons. You WILL need to put a multimeter on the pin in the connector harness for the unit, that feeds power to the lights. Possibly, it is an orange wire, but I am not certain of that. You will need a shop manual, or a wiring diagram for that info (no haynes or chilton's!!!)

Old 10-19-2008, 07:21 PM

I guess I will get with Ecklers first and the company they hire to do this work.

There WERE lights prior to me sending it off..I just couldn't get the thing to turn off. There seemed to be some stickiness of the buttons since I've owned the car, like someone has spilled something in the past and that's whyI originally sent it off. Now when I plug the unit up I get the outside air temp reading, but NO lights on the unit above ANY of the buttons.

I guess I need to see what this company found that did the referb on the unit. If there's NO LIGHTS at all now, but I had them prior, did they really fix the unit?? Thanks.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:19 AM

mine had the same issue, I pulled the unit opened it up and found a white plug inside that had come loose. I blew out the unit and pushed in the connector and it was up and running.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:13 AM
cwb

ORIGINAL: BigBsC4TorchyRed

I guess I will get with Ecklers first and the company they hire to do this work.

There WERE lights prior to me sending it off..I just couldn't get the thing to turn off. There seemed to be some stickiness of the buttons since I've owned the car, like someone has spilled something in the past and that's why I originally sent it off. Now when I plug the unit up I get the outside air temp reading, but NO lights on the unit above ANY of the buttons.

I guess I need to see what this company found that did the referb on the unit. If there's NO LIGHTS at all now, but I had them prior, did they really fix the unit?? Thanks.
Maybe forget about what people say, when they're on the phone, etc. Words go away when the sound stops.

Do like bry did - take it apart, check stuff for yourself, and test it, and test the leads for current and ground. THEN, call ecklers, and find out what they did, and when some original part still has a factory seal on it, you know something ain't right already...

Old 10-20-2008, 04:12 PM

A Tech at Ecklers tells me it may be in the Actuators.

Spoke directly with a Super Cool guy, CareyEubankat Advanced Auto Electronics, who worked on my unit, I just got off a 20 minute phone call with him.

He said he is trying his hardest to get these companies he does work for to be SPECIFIC in the problems customers are having. Most things he gets say, the generic, "rebuild unit" which doesn't help diagose the problem for the customer.

I wrote specifics on a Post-It note attached to the unit, I guess they took it off when sending it to Carey.

He was super cool and faxed me wiring diagrams for the area of the car we are discussing.