Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Newbie with problem on 95 ride control suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 05:42 PM
Default Newbie with problem on 95 ride control suspension

Hi everyone,

Brand new here and to C4's and hoping to get some help!

I did a search to try to find my problem and can't find the same exact problem.

Bought a low mile 95 with the ride control package. The car had a lot of $$$ dumped into a custom supercharged motor and runs fantastic...but the problem is the ride. It has 29K miles, and it has C5 Z06 rims and F1 supercar tires on it. This it the way I bought the car and the car was a steal.
It has always seemed really sloppy to drive and catches ruts easly. Catching ruts on poor roads with high truck traffic etc... is not surprising to me due to the tire width. (I think)
I did notice a clunk in the rack before I bought it and I know the guy did some road racing with it, but not a lot...so I put a rack in the car and it's much better and not really "sloppy" anymore but there is still something wrong. If I hit a bump just right the car stutters like it has a bad shock. The ride control seems to work fine and there is a noticable difference in the ride from setting to setting. No "service ride control" light either. The car is imaculate and so looking at the shocks there is no oil leaking from any of them.
Anyone know what may be causing this stutter? Do I replace the shocks with only 29K on them? Car seems tight now as far as steering etc...but when I get this "studder" from the front end, the steering wheel is dancing as well???

Not sure where to go. I did notice there is a rubber bushing on the top of the drivers shock that looks rough. Can that one bushing do it?
I plan on replacing them, but I'm stumped on the studdering, and don't know a whole lot about the C4's suspension.

Any tips or help would really be appreciated. I want to take it on the Hot Rod Power Tour in 6 weeks and so I would like to get this ironed out.

Thanks!

Old 04-15-2009, 05:28 PM
Angry

Are you driving with the targa top removed? The symptoms sound the same.

Just a thought?

Old 04-15-2009, 06:45 PM

Have a shop check your front end bushings , sway bar , tie rod ends and ball joints.
I have the ZO 7 option too and mine never shakes even with the targa off.
My FX 3 shocks have 77,000 miles and still work fine.
How wide are your Super F1 tires ?
Had big tires on the front and w/o aligning for them they wore badly and I went back to stock fronts on the American TT 2 9.5 's
Still running BFG Drag 315x35 on the TT 2 10.5 rear Mags but I'm going to finish them off at the track and put on a set of Vredestein tires provided I can get them large enough .
The super wides on the front don't work so well on a driver !