Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

no keys, need to move to tow, ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Default no keys, need to move to tow, ideas?

Just bought a 1993 corvette from a guy but helostthe keys (yesI gotthe title from himso its not stolen). Its been sitting for a couple years.

Here is the issue. The car is sitting in a narrow dirt driveway (hard to get in and out of) and I need to somehow get it out of the drivewayso that I can tow it. But the steering is locked obviously because I don't have keys. I destroyed where the key goes in trying to pry it out (yes I know that was stupid) but I think you could still fit a key in there.

But I'm thinking I may as well disassemble the steering column and remove the key/switch/ignition in the column since it is screwed up anyway.

Can anyone here give me tips on how to remove the steering wheel and the key/ignition switch in the column to unlock it so I can steer it?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Old 06-14-2007, 03:26 PM
Default RE: no keys, need to move to tow, ideas?

Have youtried callinga locksmith?

Old 06-14-2007, 07:46 PM
cwb
Default RE: no keys, need to move to tow, ideas?

ORIGINAL: bdw18_123

Just bought a 1993 corvette from a guy but helostthe keys (yesI gotthe title from himso its not stolen). Its been sitting for a couple years.

Here is the issue. The car is sitting in a narrow dirt driveway (hard to get in and out of) and I need to somehow get it out of the drivewayso that I can tow it. But the steering is locked obviously because I don't have keys. I destroyed where the key goes in trying to pry it out (yes I know that was stupid) but I think you could still fit a key in there.

But I'm thinking I may as well disassemble the steering column and remove the key/switch/ignition in the column since it is screwed up anyway.

Can anyone here give me tips on how to remove the steering wheel and the key/ignition switch in the column to unlock it so I can steer it?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Watch the airbag if you pull the wheel. They say those things detonate at 200 mph. I know; I hit one at exactly 55 mph (110mph close speed) last October. You don't want any part of one if you're not moving.