Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

odometer question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 10:45 AM
Default odometer question

I have a 92 model with approximately 85,000 miles and took it in to get the horn fixed. After some prelimenary testing they said they would have to remove the steering column to find the problem that it was in there. After a couple of hours they called and said it could be fixed for $160 which I thought was pretty reasonable so I told them to go ahead. After getting the car back and driving it, I noticed the mileage on it had gone up almost 50,000 miles.134,386. The only way I could see this happening is they swapped out the odometer. Can the odometer be changed out that easily and quickly? They only had the car about 4 hrs. Does anyone know where the odometer for that car is and how long would it take to change it and the horn switch, or could something else have happened to cause this to have happened. I feel like the value of my car has been destroyed. Thanks for any help.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:56 PM
Ric

Trckn_tex...I have this same problem on my 92 and mine lost 80,000 miles. It is more then likely the body control module and not the odometer. If the body control module is changed it will have to go to the dealer to be calibrated. if the body control module is changed with out recalibration the car will only run 100 miles. recalibration of the BBC is a closely guarded secret and if you find out how to do it please let me know. As of now my 92 shows 3200 miles but it really has 83200 miles. Sorry not much help but that is all I know.
Good Luck
Ric

Old 02-20-2009, 05:59 AM

Hey Ric thanks for the reply. What do you mean by calibrated. Do you mean to reset the mileage or what. I think you may be on to something because I had my body control module replaced about 50 miles ago. When I picked it up, I checked the mileage, because I wondered if that was where the mileage was located. It was showing 84000 and change so I assumed it was stored somewhere else. Then this happens and my mind started wondering what could have happened. After reading your reply, I called the shop that replaced the body control module and they said that when the bcm is bebuilt the rebuilder puts the mileage where it should be by whatever is stored in it. My car would not light up the LCD or even turn over when the bcm went out, everything else woked. Normally I do all the repairs I can, but could not figure that one out. They sent the bcm in through the Chevy dealer on their side of town for rebuilding. After reading your reply I called and talked to them yesterday and he is supposed to be checking with chevy dealer to see what might have happened. By the way I had the repairs done at 2 different places and the guy that did the horn said there was nothing he did to cause this to happen. When you replaced your bcm was the mileage where it should have been and then moved or did it reset to zero? Have you been 100 miles yet and what happened if you have? Thanks for your help.
Fred

Old 02-20-2009, 06:08 AM

Wow, that's scarey right there... Will be following this thread to see outcome..

Good luck.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Ric

I never have replaced the BCM, like you I do all my repairs. My understanding is the BCM holds the mileage of the car and has to be reset to the correct mileage by the dealer. It could be possible the person that rebuilt the BCM would do the programing but I would think it would be the dealer that would hold the license to do so but I might be wrong. I would keep on the dealer to get results.

I lost my miles and don't know why. the books all point to the BCM but I haven't replaced mine because I am afraid of the 100 mile shut down. Stay on the dealer and please let me know the outcome and the cost if you don't mind. There is very little I can find and it is probably due to heavy fines involved with odometer tampering. I ask about the cost because I have to make a decision weather to get mine fixed or let it go. I am not just trying to be nosy.

I am hoping somebody that reads this that might work At a dealership can shed some light on this problem and join in. I am not looking on how to change my mileage just wanting to know what procedure I need to take with a dealer to correct my odometer and the cost.

Good Luck
Ric

Old 02-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Ric
Red face

trckn_tex..I cant seem to get the edit to work. Some more to add.
I have probably gone about 1500 miles after the odometer went back. I think the key here was I didn't change the BCM so the mileage is wrong but I haven't fooled with the BCM.

Let us know how you are making out with the dealer.

Ric

Old 02-23-2009, 08:24 AM

There is a little bad info in some of these posts. The BCM holds the mileage. If it is replaced you have to get the correct mileage plugged in within 100 miles or it locks you out. The car will not shut down at the 100 mile mark. It will not shutdown at all. What happens is that if its not reset to the correct mileage then it locks you out permanently. So whatever mileage it is reading once its past that 100 miles then thats what you're stuck at. There is no changing it after the 100 miles.

Last edited by LeesVette; 02-23-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:34 AM
Ric
Thumbs up

Thanks Lee for the reply and shedding some light on this. In my case I will just have to enjoy my Corvette the way it is.( and that will be easy )

RudeDog & trkn_tex sorry about the bad info and hope it didn't have any negative affects

Again Lee Thank you
Ric

Old 02-24-2009, 06:03 AM

Hey Guys,
I appreciate the info. I've been busy and haven't had time to get anything done. I will talk to the people that installed the bcm and see if they can get it reprogrammed by the dealer and if not, I guess I will just have to live with it.