oil leak HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: oil leak HELP

Good luck.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:45 PM

I've also got an oil leak on my 1990 Corvette. The oil pressure sending unit was leaking as well as the speedometer transducer on the transmission and both were repaired. I had to have the transmission rebuilt (152K miles) so I had the real main oil seal replaced while the transmission was out (I'd recommend this whether it's leaking or not).I had lots of oil in the vicinity of the oil filter (both not on the filter itself) so I had the seal between the oil cooler and the block replaced. Unfortunately, it's still leaking oil from somewhere (a 4" diameter stain on the concrete in half a day) so I'm still looking.

With all the wind turbulence under the car, it's really hard to tell exactly where a leak is as the oil will literally go everywhere.

I'm contemplating simply removing the oil cooler (I use Mobil 1) but am not sure if the filter will mate properly directly to the engine block. Does anyone have any thoughts or know for sure if this will work?

Old 04-28-2007, 12:38 AM

I actually replaced the oil pressure sender/switch in my car tonight and after alot of swearing, cuts, cigarettes and irratation I finally got it replaced. If you are good at timing I would recommend removing the distributor, I did not. It was a the worst thing yet I have had to replace on the car. Appearantly mine was leaking a bit as well as it was a bit wet back there. Mech suggested that sender was the cause of my starting issues and sure enough it made a huge difference. It is redundant power switch to the fuel pump as well. Good luck, Gods speed and I hope to hell you are a patient person, this is not an easy task.

Old 04-28-2007, 01:50 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: red90vettesc

I actually replaced the oil pressure sender/switch in my car tonight and after alot of swearing, cuts, cigarettes and irratation I finally got it replaced. If you are good at timing I would recommend removing the distributor, I did not. It was a the worst thing yet I have had to replace on the car. Appearantly mine was leaking a bit as well as it was a bit wet back there. Mech suggested that sender was the cause of my starting issues and sure enough it made a huge difference. It is redundant power switch to the fuel pump as well. Good luck, Gods speed and I hope to hell you are a patient person, this is not an easy task.
Your starting problem? Was it taking too long to fire? my '87 does that most of the time....maybe I should do the same thing. Thanks for posting that tidbit. Cheers

Old 04-28-2007, 03:34 PM

well I finally took it apart last week end. it was the manifold that was leaking. after cleaning everything up we put it back together & used ultra black rtv sealant on the front & rear surfaces. I let it set for 3 days before I started it, & to my delight no leak. one thing though it takes a second or two to start now when it used to start immediatly. I did replace the O rings on the fuel lines. does anybody have any thoughts on this starting issue? one more thing this job took almost 7 hrs to do, I hope it lasts.