Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Please help I got a my 1st vette its a 84

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 05:47 PM
Default Please help I got a my 1st vette its a 84

Well guys and gals I am a 16 year old boy and i have got my dream car a corvette. Its a torch red 1984 vette i love it but i seem to have a few problems first , my dash cluster lights do not light up at night and sometimes flash around and i Have no clue what it could be and I am not sure what kind of gas milage the crossfire 350 gets but even when i keep my foot out of it i get 7.5 mpg which is horrible on a 16 year old with car paments and insurence but i dont know what the top speed is for the 84 but mine will only run 110 but it seems that it dosent have the power it should my father said it is the fuel injecter causing the lack of power and poor gasmilage becuse one shoots a stream instead of a mist. If you have any coments or advice id be glad to hear them thanks oh ya i change my catilitice converter 2 weeks ago and know it heats up torch red what is the deal with that .

Old 08-25-2006, 06:00 PM
Default RE: Please help I got a my 1st vette its a 84

First off, welcome to the Corvette Forums and congratulations on your newly acquired piece of history! Second, how many miles does the car have on it? On an 84, i would expect to see well over 100K. With something with that high of mileage, there are a whole LIST of things that could be causing you to get crappy gas mileage. Now, about the top speed, i have had mine up above 140 but mine is a 93. After i had about $9k worth of engine work done to it, the mechanic that did the work said he had it up to 160 no problem. I would assume that the 84 (being only slightly different as far as speed factors into the equation) would go about as fast as the later model C4's. I dont think you should be worried about getting it over 70mph, especially being only 16. You could lose your license as fast as you got it. I lost mine once already and i have to take my THIRD court ordered driving course so i dont lose it again. But the power thing is understandable. Have a mechanic check the compression in your cylinders. A slight loss of compression could equal a major loss of power. I dont know anything about the dash or the catalytic converter. Sorry.

Old 08-25-2006, 08:02 PM

Welcome to the Corvette Forums. I have an 85 and burned up a brand new catalitic converter in about 5 minutes, so my suggestion is to take the catalitic converter off and put a straight pipe or the old converter gutted back on till you get the fuel problem under control, then put the converter back on. What i found that was causing my fuel problems was the O2 sensor and I had a large hole in the vacuum line that went around the back of the distriburter. I would check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail, all the vacuum lines, and the O2 sensor first (of course after getting the cat off before you burn it up), if these are all ok, then check the injectors. Once you get everything working properly, then put the cat back on.

For the digital dash, mine also would go out intermittently. I found out that with the fiberglass body on the Corvettes, that the grounding system is not the best. This is what was causing mine to go out, so I pulled the digital dash out and found the two ground wires coming out of it and ran a wire from them out the firewall directly to the negative cable from the battery where it bolts to the frame and have had no more problems since.

Hope this helps. Good luck. Have fun driving your Corvette, but be safe.

Old 08-26-2006, 03:14 AM

Here is a link for performance testing on the '84. Top speed was around 135.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...85/85perf.html

Old 08-26-2006, 08:29 AM

Yeah, when i had mine up to 140, my friend afterward told me that the speedo is pretty far off at those speeds. I dont know if he was sh**tin me or what but im hearing from a whole bunch of people that 140 is pretty fast for stock. So im assuming my speedo was wrong. But still, 110 is pretty low in my opinion

Old 08-26-2006, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

You probably have 1 of the injectors bad, you should have a conical shaped spray pattern from both injectors. Most likely the reason for the poor fuel mileage. Have you checked for codes, to see if any other probs exist other than rich mixture? Most likely have fouled an O2 sensor, but you need to watch O2 readings with a DC voltmeter to determine if it is active. I would start with the fuel injector 1st, then spark plugs next and see where that gets you. [8D]

Old 08-28-2006, 05:54 PM

Welcome, welcome, welcome aboard

Mech is right almost all of the time. Once again he is giving great advice. Follow his directions and hopefully your cat is still ok.

Make sure your generation keeps the wave alive[8D]

Old 08-29-2006, 05:58 PM

ORIGINAL: TealC4

No offense, but you should have got atleast an 85 corvette, they had the better TPI injection system which bumped the power up from 205 to 230HP but if you got a good deal on the 84 then thats fine.

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Haha, sounds like something i would have to hold my tongue from saying. But seriously... we all should just buy brand new Honda Civics if you want to put it that way... They are good on gas, you can run them until the thing deteriorates into nothingness, and they are cheap and easy to work on. They are just about the perfect car. But we didnt buy Corvettes because we wanted the perfect car. We wanted the perfect car for us. Personally, i think everyone with a C4 shouldve gotten at least a 92 because of the body style change. (i think it was 92, or maybe 91) I think it would be nice, though, to own the first year the C4's came out. It would be pretty cool to have the one that started it all. I would of course do some upgrades though. I dont really know where i was going with that, but i just thought it was funny that you said that TealC4... lol

Old 08-29-2006, 06:18 PM

ORIGINAL: TealC4

Welcome to the forums! I'm 19 and i recently got a vette only mine is an 85.

As far as gas mileage, you most likely have dirty O2 sensors. They will most likely need to be replaced. Also, your car might be running to rich which results in power loss and dirty o2 sensors.

No offense, but you should have got atleast an 85 corvette, they had the better TPI injection system which bumped the power up from 205 to 230HP but if you got a good deal on the 84 then thats fine.

I love my '87 work-in-progress!

Would not trade her for anything. We all fall in love with our Vette's irregardless of the year or style.

Teal, you are a very funny guy