Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Ram air/ programmer

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 06:09 AM
Default Ram air/ programmer

I want to put a Votex Ram Air from Mid America on my '96. But I also want to get a Hypertech programmer to. I understand that there is a problem with using the two units together because the HP is set up to work with a stock set up and will not change the fuel/airmix ratioand the car will run on the lean side. Is there a way around this or should I just forget one or the other or both if no noticeable gain will be realized.Ifinstalling oneis the case which one would be the best touse on my stock engine.

http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette?frame=3.724

Old 12-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Default RE: Ram air/ programmer

First off, I doubt a "ram air" intake will do you any good on a stock or near stock engine, the stock air intake is pretty wide open. However, with a Hypertech chip, or anybody elses programmer, make sure the supplier of the program knows exactly how your engine is set up, chances are any company that has been around a while has enough experience to supply you the program to work with a vehicle set up like yours. However, if you plan to make future modifications, you may need to get a differrent program after more mods are made.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:07 AM

I got one of those. It warped a little from the heat. Looks cool though!You can do both and it won't make above 10 horsepower IF even that which I doubt. If you like the intake for the look though and the "whoosh" sound it makes, then go ahead and do it. I did.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:53 PM

The only "true" ram air/cold air intake your going to get is the one that you have to cut a hole in the front bumper.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:34 AM

ORIGINAL: LeesVette

The only "true" ram air/cold air intake your going to get is the one that you have to cut a hole in the front bumper.
Couldn't do that to my bumper even if I wanted to. Someone, who I know, took a crowbar or something hard and thwacked my front bumper. Broke my front license plate and cracaked the bottom of the bumper in two. Not really noticable unless your under the car but still. It's the thought that counts. Have had other vandilism done to the car as well but yea....People don't like the car even though it's really nothing special....Never had a problem before the car came along. Gee, if I had a Ferrarri in the driveway, heck, theyd probably burn it to the ground. Mostly imports around here though so Muscle cars are not welcome I suppose.