Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Replacing opti-spark

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Default Replacing opti-spark

So I have decided to take on the distributor on my 1994. I'm pretty shore that's what's wrong with it. It started out as a little miss at idle, then slowly got worse, now its like a constant miss, and when stepping on the gas it bogs down and spotters under even lite acceleration, sounds really bad. I have already replaced plugs, wires, vacuum lines, bad egr, and coil. And its still acting the same. My question is have heard that the problem with the distributor is the vent holes on the bottom of it which causes water to get in. I saw somebody talking about plugging two of the holes then running a vacuum line in one, and doing a ton of other stuff, why can't you just plug all of the holes, the 1995 is not vented and does not have those holes and it work, or what about plugging all the holes on the bottom and then drill a couple of holes in the side. Let me know what you guys think. Going to replace the distributor in a couple of weeks. Thanks guys

Old 09-24-2012, 04:02 PM

So I have found a bunch of threads about the opti spark 94 change over to 95 style. With the 95 cap, but I have searched all over the internet for the vacuum vent harness and can't find it anywhere. Not on gm part direct, mid America, ecklers, nobody. Does anybody know where I can get it. Really need help guys. Please let me know.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:57 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by BVFD25
So I have found a bunch of threads about the opti spark 94 change over to 95 style. With the 95 cap, but I have searched all over the internet for the vacuum vent harness and can't find it anywhere. Not on gm part direct, mid America, ecklers, nobody. Does anybody know where I can get it. Really need help guys. Please let me know.

Go here, http://forums.corvettefever.com/ & do a search via opti-spark. There is a how to,
for a vented installation.

I used to have the article, but can't find it now?

Here's another option you may find useful...http://petrisenterprises.com/index.p...d=20&Itemid=26

Last edited by Viscount; 09-25-2012 at 10:15 AM. Reason: add'l info
Old 09-27-2012, 06:11 PM

So finished up with the opti-spark, cranked it up just now, and it sounds just as bad as before. Sounds like it is hitting a rev limiter at 3000 rpm. The distributor was bad though. The metal part on the rotor button was almost warn in to two pieces. Cap was corroded on 5 prongs, and the inner ring was all rusted. I also replaced the fuel filter, the gas that came out of it was a dark brown, so I think I'm going the injectors now. When I first started it it ran really bad, was revving from 1500 to 2500 rpm by itself, check engine light came on. Then the car died. I restarted it and it smoothed out a lot but it is still missing. Check engine light is not on now, it went out by itself. Any ideas, I also have pictures of the distributor if anyone would like to see them.