Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Targa top sqeeks like crazy...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 06:04 PM
cwb
Default RE: Targa top sqeeks like crazy...

Aren't the front screws supposed to go in first? That leaves the rear screws still 'lined up', whereas if you put in the rear ones first, you could pull the roof slightly rearward and get the fronts not 'in line'...

Old 05-15-2007, 06:01 AM

I think that's what I tried (putting front in first) thinking I had them tightened some and then
started on the rear screws only to find the front was not connected.... I'll definitely take this
into consideration and be sure the front screws are aligned properly and making contact before
starting on rear.... (hopefully). Thanx

Old 05-15-2007, 06:28 AM

The front screws can be replaced. I lost one once and found out the hard way. There is a collar that holds the screws in and prevents them from falling out when the top is taken off. If you turn the screw too far, it backs out of the collar and falls out. The screws and collars are available from Mr Goodwrench (GM dealers). Can't remember if Eckler's, etc, has them or not. They are, as can be expected, pricey.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:59 AM

ORIGINAL: beauchampgl

The front screws can be replaced. I lost one once and found out the hard way. There is a collar that holds the screws in and prevents them from falling out when the top is taken off. If you turn the screw too far, it backs out of the collar and falls out. The screws and collars are available from Mr Goodwrench (GM dealers). Can't remember if Eckler's, etc, has them or not. They are, as can be expected, pricey.
Well, you learn something new everyday. On my car you can back the screws out all the way and they just turn, they dont ever come out of the retainers but I will take your word on it. Sounds reasonable.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:11 PM

Hey everybody. I was reading the forum today and decided to join when I read this post. I have a Red 88' coup with a red interior. I had the same problem with my Targa Top when I first bought the car last year and this is what fixed it.

Remove the top.

On the font attaching bracket there are two torx screw holding the bracket to the top. Loosen these two screws on the front Targa Top brackets. Just loosen, do not remove. You want them loose but snug because when you remove the top again later you don't want them to slide around and loose thier place.

Next, re-install the Targa Top.

Drive around a short distance. The top will rattle because the front brackets are loose.

Remove the top and tighten the Targa Top brackets.

That's it. The brackets will settle into place with the window frame and the squeeks went away. It worked for me and I hope it works for you.