Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

tranny filter swap...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 12:50 PM
cwb
Default RE: tranny filter swap...

ORIGINAL: LeesVette

Your really not that funny.
Yeah -- whatever you say boss. But you can call me Chuck.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:13 PM
cwb

This part was easy...

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/F4C26B721BAD4685952B7CE4E4FFE43A.jpg[/IMG]

Didn't take long either, aftrer chewin' some of that ATF coffee. Except for the trips to the john[sm=burnout.gif]

Tell ya' what else can go is these mosquitos serenadin' me in my ear.
Lesson 1: Don't swat 'em with ATF on yer hand.
Lesson b: Don't pick yer nose either[:'(].

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/1F268987FA2D4D0199A4B5EB8AD1F781.jpg[/IMG]

If yer lookin' for the trophy, it fell off.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:13 PM

ORIGINAL: cwb

ORIGINAL: LeesVette

Your really not that funny.
really I'm UpChuck
Your right.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:00 PM
cwb

This magnet was pretty scary. Filmy, so fine, it didn't even feel gritty. Supposedly, they use lead at assembly. I'm guessin' that's what we got here...

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/279EC77D9BE0426B9B2430CF384BD160.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/C3F0EDD9B8404EA8A7354ADA53A492AA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-18-2007, 02:13 PM
cwb

Even if your exhaust clamp does NOT block access to any pan bolts, yer gonna' have to loosen the clamp, and roll it around to the side away from the pan, or at least on the bottom side of the pipe. Loosenin' exhaust clamps ain't a picnic.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/53F5E1DD5569400290D0DAA046D96257.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5243/230420E7C06044A883BCA6E03202C74C.jpg[/IMG]

I don't think you'll be able to get the pan back up without the clean gasket hittin' somethin', and gettin' knocked away from the flange. It's alreaady tough enough gettin' the pan holes, the gasket holes, and the case holes lined up, on a straight lift................

Old 10-18-2007, 06:07 PM

Oo! Oo! I know the answer to this one. The cork gasket that I used when I did mine, had slightly undersized holes that held the bolts. Iput all the bolts through the pan into the gasket, before I put it up in place. The bolts kept the gasket from moving around.Still didn't keep me from smacking it against something dirty on the way up though, so it took a couple of trys to get it up there clean. Just had to remove and replace a couple of bolts after it was up there for that shifter bracket.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:31 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: goat roper

Oo! Oo! I know the answer to this one. The cork gasket that I used when I did mine, had slightly undersized holes that held the bolts. Iput all the bolts through the pan into the gasket, before I put it up in place. The bolts kept the gasket from moving around.Still didn't keep me from smacking it against something dirty on the way up though, so it took a couple of trys to get it up there clean. Just had to remove and replace a couple of bolts after it was up there for that shifter bracket.
Yeah - thanks there goat! I haven't got there yet - I ain't goin' anywhere till I roll that clamp around... Did you have to tie the shifter bracket out of the way? Did your exhaust pipe have a clamp at the passenger side? Did your magnet have all that jam on it? Do you have a tranny fluid cooler? Did you pull the juice out of the lines up front?Where do you disconnect?

The cork thingy is a good idea there. But alas, I got neoprene. Too loose to take a chance on the cleaned greasedbolts fallin' back. My problem is gonna' be that clamp. It has to get rolled around. The exhaust joint is welded, and I don't want to break the weld..........

If ya' remember any of this stuff, thanks!

Old 10-18-2007, 11:54 PM

It's been a while since I did it, but I don't think I had a clamp in the way. The only thing was that linkage. I've got an '87 convert. No trans cooler - just the one in the radiator. Didn't clean out the lines. You areleaving plenty of old fluid in there anyway in the torque converter. Ya, real fine stuff on the magnet, guess that's what it's there for. I really only know enough about mechanicin' to be dangerous.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:50 AM

It's been a while since I did it, but I don't think I had a clamp in the way. The only thing was that linkage. I've got an '87 convert. No trans cooler - just the one in the radiator. Didn't clean out the lines. You areleaving plenty of old fluid in there anyway in the torque converter. Ya, real fine stuff on the magnet, guess that's what it's there for. I really only know enough about mechanicin' to be dangerous.
That reminded me of something, goat roper. Some torque converters have a small drain plug you can remove to drain the oil from the converter.

Chuck, that "filmy" stuff on the magnet is fine metal particles from normal wear.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:21 AM
cwb

ORIGINAL: rshiver

That reminded me of something, goat roper. Some torque converters have a small drain plug you can remove to drain the oil from the converter.

Chuck, that "filmy" stuff on the magnet is fine metal particles from normal wear.

Yup - Ford[:'(]has a plug on the torque convertor.......

Quick Reply: tranny filter swap...