Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

trouble with my 90

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Default trouble with my 90

check engine light would come on and off. code 42 came up which is est and most likely the ecm is bad. was advised to change ignition module first which i did. lite stayed off but engine felt a little rough. went out with it and went to pass someone and the engine stayed running but it was like no compression. car ran as long as i didn't floor it.

a code 32 came up which is egr vavle stuck open. at this point was advised to change ecm which i did. the car now idles really rough and super rich. i would have figured the egr would have closed as i can open the throttle and it runs but runs rough. when idling if i open throttle i get a lot of black out of exhaust.

any ideas on what may be wrong?

thanks from a new member.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:54 AM
cwb
Default RE: trouble with my 90

Welcome into the forums!
Sorry someone advised you to change the ECM without knowin' if it was bad... That's called 'Fully Automatic Assault Wallet' [sm=shootshoot.gif][sm=violent053.gif]spray a volley of parts downrange and hope to hit the problem. ECM tho', huh? Sounds like the advisor just went for the thermonuclear device assault. AND STILL MISSED!!

If it was a mechanic, see if you can get your $$$ back.

The 32 code can be a vacuum leak. Highly likely with a TPI twister. Vacuum leaks are hard to find, but ya hafta' do it. Buyin' every new part in the vehicle won't fix it either.

Flow chart and diagnostic sequence for 42 is here:
http://www.syty.org/old/d&e-code42.html
Got multimeter???

Old 08-03-2007, 05:56 AM

My '90 is going in the shop this a.m. in a couple of hours for EGR valve replacement. It would
have a valve rattle when you hit the accellerator hard. Got good advice here and had it checked (vacuum check first) and my valve plugged. Hopefully by this evening my baby will be running 100% again and also new ceramic brakes on front. Whoopee!!!!![sm=icon_cheers.gif][sm=wootwoot.gif][sm=alcoholic.gif]

Old 08-03-2007, 11:48 AM
cwb

ORIGINAL: eddie20890

check engine light would come on and off. code 42 came up which is est and most likely the ecm is bad. was advised to change ignition module first which i did. lite stayed off but engine felt a little rough. went out with it and went to pass someone and the engine stayed running but it was like no compression. car ran as long as i didn't floor it.

a code 32 came up which is egr vavle stuck open. at this point was advised to change ecm which i did. the car now idles really rough and super rich. i would have figured the egr would have closed as i can open the throttle and it runs but runs rough. when idling if i open throttle i get a lot of black out of exhaust.

any ideas on what may be wrong?

thanks from a new member.
Wow Eddie... I just read the diagnostic flow chart that I linked in post 2. ECM and ignition module are the LAST 2 things on the checklist.

It's time to get another advisor there. I'll bet he doesn't have a boat either, does he?