Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Trouble starting when hot

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 05:47 PM
Default RE: Trouble starting when hot

I stopped by to see the car today - our mechanic replaced a module (computer?) - he says it helped but still not 100%. From day one he felt it was the injectors. My '89 only has 7700 miles on it. Is this what I get for purchasing a car that was never driven by the first owner? Would something like injector probs have to do with not driving it?
Thanks.

BJ

Old 08-13-2007, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Fuel pump relay is next to the brake booster and the oil pressure switch is under the distributor.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Mech259. If It is the injectors like 89RIDE's mechanic is saying...how hard are they to clean/fix or replace? Is this something that needs special tools or instruments for adjustment, or is it a simple remove and replace, something we can do ourselves? I hate to leave my cars anywhere if I can do the work myself. And that way I know exactly what was done.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

It mostly requires torx head sockets and patience. One way to check injectors is with a fuel pressure gauge hooked to fuel rail. Turn on key, let rail pressure up, block off both supply line and return line with needle nose vice grips. If fuel pressure drops after you do that ( you are isolating the injectors that way), then you have at least one injetor leaking. If no drop, then injectors are not leaking. Several uses for blocking fuel lines. If you block off return line after that and you loose pressure, check valve in pump is bad. Blocking off supply line and loose pressure, either injectors or pressure regulator. Should hold fuel pressure 4 -5 minutes.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Mech259again for the great information. That process is pretty straight forward and might save any of us with this problem some money. It seems as though there are a lot of C4's with this type of problem lately. I guess they are all getting some age on them now. Hard to believe my '87 is 20 years old. Thanks again, Cheers

Old 08-16-2007, 11:08 AM

Just got the dreaded phone call from the mechanic - LEESVETTE is right - as usual. The injectors are shot - need to be replaced - all 8 of 'em. And yes, damage was caused by it sitting too much and too long. We've put more miles on the car in the 2 years we've owned it that the first owner did in 10 yrs.
Now I can't wait to get it back and see how she runs.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:45 AM

89Ride - sorry I was right but at least you know what the problem is and it can be fixed. Better than just throwing parts at the car and praying.

If anyone wants a PDF on how to replace the injectors in an LT1 then send me your email address and I will send it to you.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:34 PM

leaky injectors, or its "waiting" for the oil pressure to build,
black smoke(when it starts after its hot)- unburnt fuel(leaking injectors pooling fuel),\
no smoke- unlikly it the injectors

Old 08-19-2007, 11:00 AM

I have narrowed the problem down. I noticed that I started to have the problem when I was low on fuel. The other day I ran the car for about 20 minutes and it got hot and it stalled. I couldn't restart it. I poured 6 gallons of gas into it and it fired right up. With a tank nearly full I am not having any starting problems. My mechanic friend thinks it may be a problem with vapour in the tank when the tank is low on fuel. Based on his comments, I changed the gas cap (which was the original gas cap and in poor condition). The problem has not reoccurred......so far. I will let you know if the problem is fixed it.

Thanks very much for everyones comments and suggestions.

LeesVette can you send me the PDF on changing the injectors just in case. koribe@sasktel.net

Thanks again
Bruce

Old 10-14-2007, 05:51 PM

okay guys i have this very problem,i had another thread started titled"Fuel Pump Relay"not knowing that this one was already started.I had a bit of black smoke puff out at start and so i was told as well as thought it was leaky injectors, so therfore i replaced them. So i tried replacing a few things in order to fix this annoying starting problem, so far NEW injectors(all 8), MAF, Ignition Control Module, FPR, Coolant temp sensor, I am really close to running out of money, i cant afford to keep spending all this money and still not fixing the issue that is at hand. PLEASE HELP!!!

Quick Reply: Trouble starting when hot