Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

vents in cross fire

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 01:45 PM
Default vents in cross fire

On my cross fire air intake system I have two (left and right) vacuum operated flaps. only one (drivers side) is opening at operating temp. Are both supposed to be open? if so any suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Old 06-24-2007, 03:53 PM
cwb
Default RE: vents in cross fire

Vacuum operated = (on the air intake) No other variables would make it work. If the motor is runing, you got vacuum, the flap works.

What is the flap's linkage attached to?

Are there electrical connectors attached?

How's the fuel pump? Is this the same problem?

Old 06-24-2007, 04:28 PM

The vacuum is coming off the manifold. they are open until motor starts the driver side closes then opens up as the car warms up. the riders side closes when running but never opens. the vacuum line go to a thermo switch???? under the air cleaner. I think that controls the flaps but you would think that both would open after car warms up. Cant tell but still sounds like it is running funny at idle. Had to turn the dealer plate in yesterday We took it in on trade at the Harley dealership I work at. will test ride tomorrow after I register it. The Cross fire is hard for me to figure out I have a 89 IROC -Z as well ,that TPI works real nice.

thanks again -Tattoo

Old 06-24-2007, 04:45 PM

Not sure about 1982 cross fire but on any carbeurated engine the damper's your describing are to control heated air or cool air for the intake, I would bet both should be open at the same time. You'll find a vacuum motor at each damper, check the one that's not working to see if it holds vacuum and check to see if it has a vacuum hose attached.

Old 06-24-2007, 05:15 PM

What is strange to me is they stay open until you fire it up then they close. All lines are hooked up.

Old 06-24-2007, 05:41 PM

Ya, that sounds right, then they re-open when the engine gets closer to operating temperature, that's how the carbuerted one's work. You can plug in a vacuum hose to the suspected bad one to see if it opens and closes.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:13 PM

Im sure I will figure it out ,I knew when I bought it thatthe cross fireset up was a pain. The car has low miles and is in great shape so I cant complain to much.. I will listen to all advice from people who have dealt with them and there issues.

Thanks again

Old 06-25-2007, 12:59 PM

I have the same setup on my 84 vette and was also wondering about the vents opening. The shop manual says that that is the way they work, the riders side is suppose to close and opens up on the highway when the vacuum drops and the engine needs more air while the drivers side stays open. Sounds strange to me to, I figured that they should both be open all the time, but I guess not.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:18 PM

I found out that same thing today. soi had my wife rev up the car and sure enough the other one opened up.
learn something every day.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:20 PM

im here to save the dayagain...... The flaps are vacuum operated just like a carbuator you have the primary ( the one that opens all the time) and the secondary( the one you say isnt opening) well if you could only see when you push the the go stick to the floor it opens right up!!!!
so....if there is no vacuum the flaps dont have anything to control them when you start your car lots o' vacuum to control them what you are seeing is perfectly normal and natural!!!!! believe me you'll know when your x-fire has a problem !!!![:@]